PDA

View Full Version : AYC Pump Relay

Davezj
09-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Lits play spot the difference!

this is the AYC pump Relay that lives on the inner wing behind the passenger side headlights of the engine bay, next to the battery. or it should do.
last time i was in there messing about with things i forgot to bolt it back on and so it was just resting in front of the battery.
the one on the left had a little water in the relay, and this why it ha burn out. you not be surprised to hear this but the one on the right is spare i had in the shed of many parts.

the issue was noticed when the RED AYC light came on. i suspected the AYC pump had finally failed completely. i counted out the flashy dash error code and it was 81 (Relay Fail) not 82 (pump Fail).
so i had a look at the AYC relay and found the horror that is the left relay.
I was firstly gobsmacked at the damage.
and then equally gobsmacked that water actually got in there.
but you do have to remember this is a high current relay and protected by a 60A fuse which had not blown. a standard 60A fuse will hold about twice the rated current (120A) continuously and not blow.
this relay is toasted.

the morel of this story is :-
put the relays back where you found them, when you are finished. that goes for most things in the engine bay. you never know when that bracket coming off an electrical part might lust be an chassis ground point or a very usefully hold things the right way up so they act like and umbrella and not a bucket.

by the way i replaced the relay and the AYC now works again.

this is a big up for Misti error codes and keeping those spare parts that might be useful one day.

Nick Mann
09-04-2014, 06:27 PM
I've seen a relay that looked like that even though it was mounted properly. It might not be anything to do with that, Dave.

Davezj
09-04-2014, 06:37 PM
well that is good to know i am not such a muppet after all.
i did find some moisture inside the relay housing but not a lot, some of the rust is wet.
i suppose it could be possible that the relay gets quite hot switching all the current on and off, it might be a condensation forming in the horrible wet weather we have been having.
John the antique's water proofing method, of fitting a condom over the entire relay and then cable tying the wires might not be such a bad idea.

adaxo
09-04-2014, 06:44 PM
well that is good to know i am not such a muppet after all.
i did find some moisture inside the relay housing but not a lot, some of the rust is wet.
i suppose it could be possible that the relay gets quite hot switching all the current on and off, it might be a condensation forming in the horrible wet weather we have been having.
John the antique's water proofing method, of fitting a condom over the entire relay and then cable tying the wires might not be such a bad idea.

Yeach right Dave, thats what is missing under your bonnet, condoms hanging on relays, you make my day, thanks. /haz/haz/haz

GalantOnly
09-04-2014, 09:19 PM
You're not alone, Dave...:)

Davezj
09-04-2014, 09:29 PM
what do you think alex, is it a dodgy design to much heat and condensation or is it just water geting in there?

GalantOnly
09-04-2014, 09:51 PM
It feels and looks cheaper than other OEM relays on 8.gen...

But one thing I don't understand... This particular very rusty piece of relay were taken out of 00' FL VR-4. There was already living spiders and other strange animals inside... To replace it, I took the relay from scraped 96' PFL VR-4 and it looked like it just came from the factory - no rust at all... So I'm not quite sure what's going on here :)

crazydriver81
09-04-2014, 10:09 PM
I should feel happy, that I don't have AYC, shouldn't I? :P

Davezj
09-04-2014, 10:37 PM
my VR4 is a 98 PFL and the relay i had in the shed i took of old 96 VR4 was perfect condition, you can see it in the pic i posted up.

very odd!

Reconstructor
12-05-2014, 08:50 AM
It feels and looks cheaper than other OEM relays on 8.gen...

But one thing I don't understand... This particular very rusty piece of relay were taken out of 00' FL VR-4. There was already living spiders and other strange animals inside... To replace it, I took the relay from scraped 96' PFL VR-4 and it looked like it just came from the factory - no rust at all... So I'm not quite sure what's going on here :)

The main problem of this relay is that is not airtight, so any kind of **** can go inside. The replacement relay can be any brand, just powerful enough (pump requires high current). I bought mine from local store. :) And it have hermetic cover, not like original one.
After relay has been replaced, I faced more serious problem - rust was caused shortcuts in the coil, which led to much lower R, which in turn led to blown commutation transistor inside ECU. This one:

Replacement can be any bipolar, at least 0.5A, with suitable package. Since it is SMD, some soldering skills and lots of flux is required. :)