PDA

View Full Version : Galant VR4 8g Instrument clauster wiring

Yacuza
11-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Hello.

Does enyone have a diagram they can give me that tells me what is what on the VR4 Instrument??

I installed it in my 2000year 2.0 GLS chassi ( rest is VR4 ) all was plug 'N play, but the backlights and the needles dosnt light up. I have checked the fuses yes, and the bulbs. everything else works.

Maybe there is a different "pin" that lights up the gauge on the VR4 clauster vs stock GLS 2.0 wiring..

Help any one?

MarkSanne
11-04-2014, 11:36 AM
You need an extra 12V power to get the lights on. Check these topics:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?68276-hi-vis-clocks
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?67670-fitting-fl-speedo-clocks-on-pre-fl

However... the needles shouldn't work/properly as the difference between a 4-cyl and V6 should not be something that you can fix easily (I would say, extremely difficult). You'll need a Hi-Vis / Hi-Contrast (HC) unit from a 4-cyl 2.0 or GDi 2.4L Galant.

Yacuza
11-04-2014, 01:42 PM
HC what?? :/
Sorry im new with this car, so im sorry that i dont understand you :/
The VR4 engine and all the drive system is mounted in a OEM 2.0 4 cyl Galant.. So i might have the item you are writing about. The problem is that i dont understand what it is :/
The RPM/Speed/tank/temp needle is working just fine. Only problem is the lights..

MarkSanne
11-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Ah! That changes it! Ok, indeed, then the needles will work :)

HC = High Contrast. It's the name / abbreviation used for these gauge clusters. They are also called 'OptiTron' and 'High Vision', just so you have a few words for the same thing :)

Back to your question: like I said: you'll need to add (at least) an additional 12V power source to the pin (as mentioned in the links) at the back of the gauge cluster.

Yacuza
11-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Ok i will try that thank you.. Found a company in Germanny that makes different instrument faceplates for the VR4 segment.. Its just awsome. I bought white surface with red letters/numbers. also converted from miles to kilometers :D
There are many colors to choose from :)

swinks
11-04-2014, 07:21 PM
However... the needles shouldn't work/properly as the difference between a 4-cyl and V6 should not be something that you can fix easily (I would say, extremely difficult). You'll need a Hi-Vis / Hi-Contrast (HC) unit from a 4-cyl 2.0 or GDi 2.4L Galant.
It will work.
Rev counter board needs little change: 1 capacitor and 1 or 2 resistors need to be replaced by different values.

Yacuza
12-04-2014, 09:18 AM
It will work.
Rev counter board needs little change: 1 capacitor and 1 or 2 resistors need to be replaced by different values.

What do you meen??

Where is the wire for extra 12V power to get the lights on, is it one arround it that sockets somewhere? Isnt it enough to just bridge pin nr 4 and 5?? I need to ad extra 12V power to bouth of the pins?

Also ther where a link that show'd it would be nessesary to cut and do other stuff to make it work..

For me it seems like the only thing i need to do ( due to the oem car infact is a 2.0 GLS 4 cyl car ) is just to bridge pin 4 and 5 with extra 12v power.. Witch socket it is i dont know. need to compare with the picture and the instrument of my car. Seems like there arnt any numbers on the sockets to play arround with soooooo!!
However, what mr swinsks wrote also needs to be done. Im not sure what exactly that is (sorry)..

MarkSanne
12-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Stian, what Swinks is saying is that a VR4 gauge cluster can be made to work on 4-cyl (non-VR4) Galants. That's it, so good info, but is does not add much for your topic. I have done 3 or 4 of these conversions and just linked pin 4 with pin 5 on that connector to effective add 12V extra to the circuit. This MIGHT (!) not be enough or it can even damage something, but if you feel lucky, then do it. Compare the pictures in the topic to what you see once you remove the gauge cluster and you'll see it.

Yacuza
12-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Ok thank you for replying :)
Will try to bridge 4 and 5 on the connector shown on the picture. I dont need to add a new wire with 12v on to that bridge wiring right?

MarkSanne
12-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Correct

swinks
12-04-2014, 04:10 PM
More details about fitting hi vis speedo instead old classic one is here:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?68276-hi-vis-clocks&highlight=vis+conversion
post #11

Yacuza
12-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Ok i will try to use a voltmeter to see what my pin5 from the car is before i connect them.. If its a pure 12v power wire, it will damage some stuff acording to the thread you posted. Dont want to burn the clauster board...

Yacuza
12-04-2014, 04:35 PM
If i do burn the s*it out of it. Does anyone have a converted one to sell?? :D that also works :p

swinks
15-04-2014, 02:42 PM
If i do burn the s*it out of it. Does anyone have a converted one to sell?? :D that also works :p
Sorry, missed somehow this thread.
I have one spare hi-vis soeedo. It's vr4 specific, from a/t not manual (will work in manual also). Can do conversion for you.
Bad bits: smoked perspex has 2 plastic clips broken.
For 20 GBP can be yours ;)

Yacuza
15-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Sorry, missed somehow this thread.
I have one spare hi-vis soeedo. It's vr4 specific, from a/t not manual (will work in manual also). Can do conversion for you.
Bad bits: smoked perspex has 2 plastic clips broken.
For 20 GBP can be yours ;)

Ok i will try to make the Conversion first after easter. If i burn it then i'll buy yours. But i do only need the back plate. My clauster is for a Manual car, i can use my front so i dont have to look at the gear Counter between the guages on a auto clauster :D
I Guess the back plate on Your clauster, with all Electronics should fit right in my clauster correct? regarldess man/auto. And if you already have made a Conversion to an 4 cyl galant wiring out of it, that one should work Perfect, wont u agree?

Although it was written some Place that there could be some differens between gauge setups, i Guess With the change of models from 98-01. ( 4 cyl galant cars, not the VR4 )
If there are Infact some smal changes from the wiring diagram in 4 cyl Galants well, to avoid burning the chipboard while bridging pin 4 and 5 isnt there a number somwhere on the VR4 clauster that we can double check With other members?? Just in case?

Yacuza
04-05-2014, 08:59 PM

This is all i got when i turn on the ignition. To be honest.. I think i have more issues than only Connect the wire 4-5. Look at the Picture, i would Call that a near "dead" clauster....

Im abit affraid of connecting the wires since that might damage all Electronic in the clasuter... Hope someone here can take this step by step. Im just getting confused Reading the links that has been posted here. :thinking:

I need all the help that is possible. I can take out the clauster and ship it to someone who can install it in their VR4 manual just to check it the clauster is Ok...
All i realy have sorted out is that i have an Hi-vis instrument. Maybe im missing a fuse somewhere. Are the clauster fuse inside the fusebox in the car? or is it near the battery inside the enginebay?
Since i have done a Heavy N/A 2.0l galant -> 1996 VR4 swap it might be something missing...
PS: I dont drive With AYC. I drive With an open diff. so the AYC lamps shouldn't be working.. (iguess)

Yacuza
06-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Swinks, you got a PM