PDA

View Full Version : did i buy a lemon??

dickiesnz1
15-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Hi,
so i got my first legnun vr-4 two weeks ago from a guy off trademe.
drove it, wof all clear and my mechanic checked it out- said it was all good.

drive it around for a little while a couple days later and the power cuts out. but still driveable in short distances. Leave it in the garage for 4 days, nothing ticks over. Battery dead, no engine sparks or anything. My mechanic picks it up last thursday, still no fix.

so far, he has replaced the air flow meter, fuel pump and battery- as this had died.

Worst case scenario, it could be a computer fault and then nowhere to go.

Anyone got any ideas or possible fixes? this is a nightmare.

Trotty
15-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Check IFS sensor on front rocker cover. There are two terminals u need to bridge to get u by but u loose tacho. I can't recall ill do a search some1 might chime in first.

kiwigalant
15-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Has he actually verified that both the AFM and fuel pump are dead or needed replacing or is he just bad at diagnosing? Are you in Auckland or elsewhere?

Davezj
15-04-2014, 07:30 PM
I would be surprised if both have failed.
But it is possible, if it was me, I would like to see how he has diagnosed this.
Just in case he is a muppet and does not know how to use a multimeter, I have seen it in the past, a so called engineer testing the output of an transformer with a multimeter set to volts DC and claiming the transformer was dead and need repacing, at a cost of £80. I disagreed with his diagnosis.
But he insisted his diagnosis was correct and I did not know what I was talking about, as I was not a registered engineer.
I told him to get his coat and leave, and I would not be calling his services in the future.

carfanatic
15-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Don't shoot me for saying, have you pressed the imobiliser button on the keyfob?

Davezj
15-04-2014, 08:16 PM
that is a very valid point, if you unlock the car and did not start it straight away the immobiliser can switch on about 30 second after the original unlock and you have to either push unlock botton again to be able to start the car or push the immobiliser key into the little key connector on the dash somewhere, depend where it was fitted.

immobiliser would disable the ignition and fuel pump, possibly other systems as well.

dickiesnz1
15-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for the quck responses.
He has disabled the immobisiler altogether so he can take in and out of the garage to work on it.

I'll have to call him again today for an update.

I am in wellington BTW.

Gly
16-04-2014, 12:46 AM
sounds like you have a muppet mechanic sounds like hes just changing parts or saying he is to charge you for the pleasure,
take it to mitsubishi,

new battery should have allowed it to crank, then you could pull codes.