PDA

View Full Version : Calling all paint code guru's

Tam
15-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Hi All,

I have been looking into buying some paint and in a different thread had a load of shops recommended to me but my mate recently got some paint mixed from Halfords that they had matched for him and its only £20 a litre, and very convenient.

So i popped in and enquired if they could do A71 Hamilton Silver, what i remember from other threads this is quite a difficult colour to match, The guy behind the counter was very helpful but could not find hamilton silver but could find the A71 paint code for Mitsubishi's. On the Halfords system it was called Seattle Silver Metallic.

It was made up of the following (in case the photo does not work):

H730 Aluminium Gloss 864.4ml
9005 Deep Black 80.7ml
9647 Blue 24.2ml
9396 Pink 10.4ml
0001 White 8.0ml

I was wondering with anyone in the trade does this sound about right for the make up of Hamilton Silver. For £20 i am willing to take a punt on it but i am also wary that i believe you generally get what you pay for.

Cheers in advance
Marc

Gingerfish
15-04-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm not a paint guru, but I know that Silver is a b@$tard to match.

I am pretty sure there is something you can add to the paint to age it slightly (or I could be talking outta my back-side!) but failing that you can get a tool that will match the colour rather than just mix according to the colour code. That way you can ensure a good match, certainly considering the age of our cars.

WOODY72
15-04-2014, 05:10 PM
I went into Halfords to get a touch up tube for mine, I gave him the paint code and it came up Cambridge red and not Roanne red. I don't think the paint codes alter wherever you go?

Tam
15-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Cheers guys,

Suppose could take the car up there see what they think. Graham was the colour a good match?

swinks
15-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Beware Tam!
Halfords system is PITA and crap. A71 is Hamilton Silver in fact and had been applied to all pfl Galants and Legnums (up to 1999).
Satelitte Silver (code A69) is silver shadow applied onto facelift cars only. Hamilton Silver is much darker shade and visibly different to A69 Satelitte silver.
Halfords has in stock only Satelitte Silver but often coded as A71 or even under name "Hamilton..." which is shambles.

Davezj
15-04-2014, 07:51 PM
I believe a proper paint place should be able to scan the paint on your car to get a good match paint formula for it and do a bespoke colour mix so it matches correct, this takes into account the paint is 18 years old and has probably faded over the years from the original a71 paint code. Oh be warned the plastic parts bumper and spoiler, etc, are a different shade of silver to the metal bodywork.
I do not know why but the are, the are a light shade of silver.
I think it had something to do with fact the part was applied to plastic and not metal. I don't think it was intentional on mitsi behalf, it just turned out that way, the paint reacted slightly different with plastic than it did with the metal.
All A71 Hamilton silver cars are like this to my knowledge plastic and metal parts having different colour paint shades. Mine certainly is.

kiwigalant
15-04-2014, 08:11 PM
I've seen A71 referred to as Seattle Silver before and used instead of Hamilton Silver, usually on yank websites like http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/mitsubishi/1997/all-models/. I do not know if they are the same ingredients, but there is a thread on here or OzVR-4 where someone has listed what goes into A71.

Nick Mann
15-04-2014, 10:20 PM
I've had paint from halfords in A71. They called it Seattle. This worried me too as I knew A69 is Satellite. The paint is not a horrendous match, it is a lot closer than A69, but I wouldn't say it was easy to use or a perfect match.

Davezj
15-04-2014, 10:54 PM
I've had paint from halfords in A71. They called it Seattle. This worried me too as I knew A69 is Satellite. The paint is not a horrendous match, it is a lot closer than A69, but I wouldn't say it was easy to use or a perfect match.

nick does it match the metal body panel better or the plastic bits.

WOODY72
16-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Being honest Tam, it was for touching up chips, so a bit difficult to tell over a small area, but looks ok. Over a big area who knows, probably need lacquer as well?

Nick Mann
16-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Difficult to say, Dave. I think that the metallic flake is inconsistent and not right, so comparing the colour is really difficult.

Chris.W
17-04-2014, 12:04 AM
What ever you do don't do what I did!!!
Got confused about colour names and ended up getting my pfl painted Satelite silver. Not that bad realy since the whole car was done but the guy that painted it did not do inside the door shuts, so when the doors are open you see the original Hamilton. Ooops. Didn't realise my mistake untill I got the car back.

Tam
17-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Oh dear Chris,
Yeah I bought a facelift bonnet that's ended up being satellite silver, did not think about the different codes and just bought it. Was not till I fitted it that I could see the difference between satellite and hamilton.

With the paint coding thank you everyone got the replies I'll probably get the paint from a proper paint mixing shop.

Marc

Davezj
17-04-2014, 09:39 AM
what you have to remember is if you have two cars from mitsi both supposed to be hamilton silver A71 neither of which have been repaited one from 1998 and 0ne from 2001 the shade of silver can be completely differnt colours. i this issue as i bought wings and bonnet from a 2001 galant A71 paint code and when they were filtted to my car, it looked like a completely different colour of silver the 2001 silver was much much darker.
this is why i would suggest you get the paint shop to scan your paint and get it made up to that rather than going off the paint code, these are old cars now.

Tam
17-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Be careful with the old Dave, they will hear you and throw up a fault. Lol

WOODY72
17-04-2014, 04:17 PM
In reality, you should be able to go to any paint supplier and ask for A71 and they should all be the same, the code is all they go by!

Chris.W
18-04-2014, 01:22 PM
In theory Woody that's right. When I bought the paint the guy came out with a chart that had 5 different shades of Satelite Silver.

Badger_01
18-04-2014, 02:30 PM
what you have to remember is if you have two cars from mitsi both supposed to be hamilton silver A71 neither of which have been repaited one from 1998 and 0ne from 2001 the shade of silver can be completely differnt colours. i this issue as i bought wings and bonnet from a 2001 galant A71 paint code and when they were filtted to my car, it looked like a completely different colour of silver the 2001 silver was much much darker.
this is why i would suggest you get the paint shop to scan your paint and get it made up to that rather than going off the paint code, these are old cars now.

There is three different shades of Hamilton Silver A71. The standard "normal" Hamilton Silver, a lighter Hamilton Silver and a darker Hamilton Silver

Badger_01
18-04-2014, 02:30 PM
In reality, you should be able to go to any paint supplier and ask for A71 and they should all be the same, the code is all they go by!

Nope lol