PDA

View Full Version : 2nd 210amp alternator is in

Pugme
18-04-2014, 07:56 PM
ok well if youve seen my other thread im installing a lot of audio so i will be running a seocnd battery in my boot, i have today managed to mount a 210amp alternator in place of the air con pump

it took me a good 4-5 hours to get it in to this level but i can confirm with a bit of ingenuity and perseverance it will work! lol

Davezj
18-04-2014, 08:18 PM
very nice, looks like a great install, fits in there really well and lines up with pullies spot on.
here are couple of point you might not have considered:-

1. does it rotate in the correct direction, i am not being funny about this, they have an internal fan in them to keep them cool, i presume they are designed to rotate on one direction only.

2. have you considered some weather protection, alternators are open to the elements unlike the air con pump and power steering pump. that is why they are usually mounted a bit higher up. maybe some kind of splash gard round it, water and electricity and all that.

3. what is the clearance to the lower rad bracket like? remember the engine will move around and the rad bracket will not. it might just be the angle of the picture though. would not want you to damage the alternator ater spending all that time mounting in there.

Pugme
18-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Rotation wise, I hope so, there is arrows on it, and it goes in the same direction as the arrow on the air con pump but I was not sure which way the belt turns everything lol, go on, burst my bubble which way does it turn and I'll confirm tomorrow!

I've considered a skid pan :-) haha remember my car sits quite low!!

I will check clearances tomorrow, but hopefully all is good, my engine is also on solid eurothane bushes made by Gowf! So very little movement.

Nick Mann
18-04-2014, 09:43 PM
The belts & pulleys rotate clockwise when viewed from the drivers side of the car. (Except the tensioner pulley for the P/S belt).

Looking good!

Pugme
18-04-2014, 09:52 PM
That should be fine then as the arrows show the alt spins clockwise when looking straight on at the wheel!!

Just hope camskill can help when I tell them I need a belt 30mm shorter than a standard one

Davezj
18-04-2014, 10:32 PM
All sound good, rotation wise.
can you fit any spacer under the brackets you have made to make the alternator a little bit further out. towards the rad bracket, or is there no room for it to go out a little. this would take up some of the slack in the original belt. or slot the bracket you made to slide the alternator down a little if you dere to make it any lower. have you adjusted the idler pully fo it max position to take up some of the slack.
if you don't have enough clearance on the Rad bracket then cut it off, and make a smaller one it is not taking much weight and does not need to stick out as much as it does. you could cut almost half of the hole away that the rubber insert sits in so it just holds the rubber in place, this should be all the support you need. if you get my drift.
when i fitted my 50mm alloy rad i had to cut my rad support bracket off and fab up some new one to support the new rad. when i say fab up, i mean i drilled a couple of holes in some angle iron and bolted to the bottom of the front chassis under where the air can rad would be, so the location pins of the rad sloted in nicely, i got rid of the rubber mounts.

yes i do remember how low car is, lower than a badger's badger.
protection from moisture would be required i think.

AKKO
19-04-2014, 02:03 AM
Looking good, what was your previous alternator cold or warm spec?

Pugme
19-04-2014, 08:55 AM
That's not a bad idea Dave, I'll have a look at that today hopefully.

The car is a coty Chris, and I'm actually not sure but the original alternator is still there. This one is to run a second 5000 amp battery in the boot.

Davezj
19-04-2014, 11:05 AM
some big ICE going on.
always best to do the ground work rather than expecting the original electrical system to cope with a 150% 200% 300% increase in power consumption.
very smart move.

exevoowner
19-04-2014, 11:58 AM
very good idea as i had to change a alternator the other day and the wire to the battery from the alternator had gone hard,upon cutting it off found the wire inside was more red than copper colour due to current draw heating it up

Gly
25-04-2014, 05:06 AM
factory belt is 1060 length,

so you need to ask for a 6PK1030 belt :) (6PK indicates 6 peaks/grooves in the belt)

exevoowner
19-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Pugme were did you get your alternator from im looking into a little project and need one with out the rectifier

Pugme
19-06-2014, 07:45 PM
yes indeed, you will need

Grove Autoparts
Unit 28 Vale Industrial Park
170 Rowan Road
London
SW16 5BN

0208 6792922

the guy you will be needing is sonny (owner), ive spoke to him a few times and he has been very helpful when i needed help fitting and wiring it up as my car cant get to his workshop because of speedbumps :)

mine is externally regulated, but you can have internally instead.