PDA

View Full Version : Looking at VW Golf R32

low_vr4
22-04-2014, 03:35 AM
Hey guys,

Looking at purchasing a new car and wanted to see if you guys had owned/serviced etc, a 2006/2007 Mk5 VW golf R32 (VR4 for sale if anyone is interested).
Have been looking for awhile and haven't come across a manual yet (at a decent price) so decided to go for 6-Spd DSG/AUTO in the Deep blue pearl or Reflex Silver colour.
Anyone know of any problems with these cars? Common issues to look out for etc?

Cheers

Subaru ETA
22-04-2014, 05:55 AM
Electrical gremlins would be my main concern.
Plus if **** does go wrong, parts can be pricey

Adam.Findlay
22-04-2014, 10:05 AM
yes servicing costs will be large being a euro, and the fact its the top spec model engine/trans parts will be more expensive again.

other than that R32's are great cars from what I have heard, fast good looking. Nice choice!

Davezj
22-04-2014, 01:48 PM
mate at work had an audi with the DSG auto box, he had an issue with it and the had it replaced under waranty it cost about £2500 parts only and as it was new tech at the time, the only way to go was new parts.
the waranty company was tried everything to get out of paying for it. but they eventually did pay up, that was in the UK.
mind you an AYC pump from mitsi is £2034, i remember seeing a invoice for one in a service book of a VR4 that got broken up for parts.

giblet
22-04-2014, 02:41 PM
I'll second the DSG concerns. I had a MK6 Golf 1.4 Tsi with the DSG box. Mine was the 7 speed one with the dry clutch packs. Ended up needing a new box in less than a year of sensible driving. It started slipping ever so slightly between gears, they tried new clutch packs but didn't cure it so next step was new box. Saying that I think I was an exception as plenty of other mk6 owners on the forums I frequented had no issues.

If you find one that's been looked after and has had regular transmission fluid changes then you should be fine. Always best to have an emergency slush fund though

Davezj
22-04-2014, 04:10 PM
i think the DSG box have got a lot better over the years, and had various design tweeks. but i would not want to have one of the original design box, or only go for a car that has had the dsg box replaced already. but that is just my opinion.