PDA

View Full Version : Noisy drive train

jpsnorton
27-04-2014, 09:00 AM
My car has been making noise
a couple of weeks ago the passanger side break started to hold on and get hot have taking it in to be looked at with no luck . Then just the other day heard a grinding noise and found oil on rear diff going back to shop to get axle seal done on passenger side not ayc side. Still hearing a whiny noise gets a-bit louder with taking foot off gas any ideas
be great help thanks

Atik
27-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Have you eliminated a bearing issue? If the brakes were binding, that could cause stress on the bearing. I had a similar issue a few years ago, where I suspected the rear diff to be noisy, but it was a rear passenger bearing!

But if you have oil on the dear diff, its better to get the garage to take a look to be sure. If the diff was 'broken' the crunching sounds would be horrendous and you would know about it.

wintertidenz
28-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Could be tyres, bearings or transfer case.

Get your brakes and diff sorted first then work from there - if the whining noise gets worse when cornering then it's a bearing. While driving along on a quiet stretch of road put the car into neutral - if the noise dies down a bit it's the transfer case going.
Transfer case isn't too bad to replace, but it is far easier with the transmission out of the car - so if you have a manual, I'd suggest checking clutch while you are there or if it's an auto then do the torque converter seal for peace of mind.

jpsnorton
29-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Thanks for ideas brakes seemed to free up a day or two before the oil leak
had the axle seal done . Think its still something at back wheel but maybe transfer case
something put back out of alinement seems a but jumpy going in to 4th