PDA

View Full Version : going sideways !!

SGHOM
15-02-2005, 01:10 AM
I'm tempted !! :uhoh2: sort of, to really get my car sideways & play big time !! /yes
Sad I know, but just spent some time studying Tiff Needells "burning rubber" & I'm tempted to put theory into practice.
It's OK getting our tyres screeching, & passengers screaming, but putting 1.5 tons of legnum, deliberatly sideways has got to be worth a dabble ??
All you need to do is go into a corner at a speed the car can cope with, but upset the cars balance !! flick it left.......... flick it right..... & off you go !!

we have the power to do it. has anyone got the bottle ?? I have !! :stars: I think ??

Kenneth
15-02-2005, 02:14 AM
I'm tempted !! :uhoh2: sort of, to really get my car sideways & play big time !! /yes
Sad I know, but just spent some time studying Tiff Needells "burning rubber" & I'm tempted to put theory into practice.
It's OK getting our tyres screeching, & passengers screaming, but putting 1.5 tons of legnum, deliberatly sideways has got to be worth a dabble ??
All you need to do is go into a corner at a speed the car can cope with, but upset the cars balance !! flick it left.......... flick it right..... & off you go !!

we have the power to do it. has anyone got the bottle ?? I have !! :stars: I think ??

Wouldn't mind trying it myself. Wouldnt want to do it on the street though.

In my old 1.8 Galant, my rear tyres were so crap I could drift while going uphill. Good fun, but somethings bound to happen. I was lucky with that car, the worst I did was tear a rear tyre off the rim. the kerb was low enough that the rim didnt hit the concrete. luckily, just went to the gas station and popped the tyre back on.

I expect you would have to be going pretty quick to drift a VR-4. At low speeds I have turned some corners at speeds I wouldn't like to admit, and been very impressed.

If Trow sees this, he might tell you a bit about a road close to where I live. Was doing about 80 around a 25-30 with marginal camber. when it came time to straighten for the next turn (S bend) the backside flicked around a fair bit. Good fun!

Hehe, the EVO 8 following us was left behind :) admittedly he didnt know the road (or thats what he said ;)

um yeah, go for it. IMO you want to practice on the track first. Then you might have been planning that anyway, in which case I should shut up....
:rolleyes4

dickytim
15-02-2005, 06:15 AM
Have had 1.7tones of legnum sideways, very sideways, go into the corner full throttle then just at the apex lift off the gas, throw a little big of extra steering, kick down a gear and plant the foot again, this must take less than a second and instant sideways, to get out of it keep your foot planted and steer strait ahead. easy, I do it now and then for fun.

Simon
15-02-2005, 10:10 AM
You should have seen Bonsai Boy Saturday!!!! :rolleyes4 Mental is not the word..........bring on JAPFEST!.....Ive a drifting DVD that i'll try and post some clips of, its good because you get to the see the outside of the car, the drivers feet and pedals and a G-force unit to see how the driver upsets the car. We need to find an open airfield to play on! /yes :2thumbsup

SGHOM
15-02-2005, 10:26 AM
It's easier in a RWD car than a 4WD !! I dont think combe will be wide enough for my exploits. :rolleyes4
I did get mine into a full on 4 wheel drift at Elvington with Jimbo in the suicide seat. :2thumbsup but thats not as good as getting the rear end out, & holding it. and.................. also remembering to correct the steering BEFORE you come out of the drift !! if not............ you get the old 'tank slapper' !! :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Kyoshu
15-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Yeah I've tried it a couple of times in the wet. There's a road here in Auckland called Wapiti ave and it has a nice little S corner coming from the Greenlane end. You can take the right at speed and drift out on the left turn.

bonsai boy
15-02-2005, 08:03 PM
ONE SET OF BBS RIMS FOR SALE
WITH SLIGHTLY WORN TYRES :karate: