PDA

View Full Version : Rotational grinding noise in sharp left turns after steering/brakes worked on

upshotbravo
16-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Hi Guys,

So I had some work done on my Legnum here recently and I am really happy with the results. A minor issue has come up and i'm hoping you guys might be able to point me in the right direction as far as a diagnosis goes.

The car had some issues with the front end being floaty and the brakes needed help so (after a lot of research and parts gathering, not easy in Canada/the US) here is what was done:

New 100amp alternator and battery

New rotors, front and back(EBC slotted and dimpled) and pads (ferodos up front, green stuff in the back)
New stainless steel lines and super blue fluid, new hardware in the calipers, Slide Pins/bolts etc.

New timken front wheel bearings and hub assemblies on both sides
New oem track rod ends and inner tie rods
New oem lateral control arms with energy suspension polyurethane bushings pressed into the inner most mounting point (not the one that mounts to the shock)
New aftermarket curved rear control arms
Power steering fluid flushed refilled with dexron 3

New 18x8 wheels and 225/40R18 dunlop tires and a complete alignment job...

(I have the entire bushing kit for the rest of the car and poly engine mounts to go in next)

I am really pleased that everything fit! my mechanic checked the rim fitment and confirmed that they have lots of clearance for the brakes and there is no issue there.

The effect was trans-formative... huge change, its like a new car (almost)... the brakes are bedded in and excellent... the steering is great. I really, really like this car now and i can envision some serious mods soon.

One issue: when I turn the car sharply to the left, not quite to lock but nearly, i get a rotational grinding sound... not alarming but it definitely sounds like metal on metal. It does NOT happen when i turn to the right... only to the left, and it doesn't seem to happen all the time. I went out to an empty parking lot tonight and i can induce it fairly easily but it doesn't seem to happen every single time. It seems to happen and low speed and higher speeds.

My first thought was the metal shield behind the rotors and bent that back a bit but it made no difference. I dont think it is the rims/tires because its onlt happening on one side.

Thoughts? anyone? need more info?

Thanks for any input!

menno3x8g
16-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Could be the CV-joint. First check the hoses.

Gly
16-05-2014, 10:00 AM
My first thought was the metal shield behind the rotors and bent that back a bit but it made no difference.

how much effort did you put into this? because i had the same issue, couldn't bend it back enough by hand with the wheel on,
had to take the wheel off and gave it a god bend with a pry bar all the way round, problem solved.

Atik
16-05-2014, 11:07 AM
You had replacement brake lines fitted. If they were not fixed securely, it could be catching on the inside of the wheel. I had that happen to me when I did my old Brembo upgrade. The new lines were not fixed securely and one of the retaining bolts part way up the line was catching on the inside of the wheel. I only found it after a few months of failed diagnoses by sheer luck when I was washing the wheels and felt a groove in the wheel. Adjusted the line by a few millimeters with a new zip tie and it fixed it.

Davezj
16-05-2014, 01:21 PM
my initial though would have been brake dust shield plate, you do need quite a bit of force to bend it, as it tends to just move back into postion when you let go. and also when you bend one bit of the the plate back it pushes another bit of the plate towards the disk. you really do need to give it a wack all the way round.

AKKO
16-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Yeah had the same thing after replacing my drive shaft and LCAs... fortunately it was an easy fix compared to the alternatives that came to mind at the time!

upshotbravo
16-05-2014, 07:02 PM
OK, thanks for the responses, we will take a look at the lines and the dust shield with the car on a hoist. It doesn't sound like a CV joint to me, but i guess it could be. The problem wasnt there before the work was done so i doubt it is a drive shaft issue... any thoughts on the possibility that i got a bad bearing/hub assembly?

Davezj
17-05-2014, 07:35 AM
bad hub would be a worring/humm of a noise that gets louded and changes pitch with speed and sometime you get a harmonic effect at a particular speed that creates a wwhar, wwhar, wwhar, wwhar, noise a throbing sound. which changes loudness depending if you go round a left or right corner.

if you get a grinding from a wheel bearing then it is completely buggered and you have been ignoring the harning signs of a failure for week possible months. and that is no way to treat a car.

upshotbravo
22-05-2014, 06:12 AM
bad hub would be a worring/humm of a noise that gets louded and changes pitch with speed and sometime you get a harmonic effect at a particular speed that creates a wwhar, wwhar, wwhar, wwhar, noise a throbing sound. which changes loudness depending if you go round a left or right corner.

if you get a grinding from a wheel bearing then it is completely buggered and you have been ignoring the harning signs of a failure for week possible months. and that is no way to treat a car.

The noise only began occurring AFTER the recent work was done.

rajvr497
22-05-2014, 12:46 PM
does the noise sound like this?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvoWhuTynZ8

upshotbravo
23-05-2014, 12:45 AM
Got it figured out!!!

At some point in the past someone put a caliper bracket bolt into the car that was slightly too long. it was making contact with the rotor when the steering was at a particular angle.

Weird. But it only started once the new EBC rotors went in...

Problem solved!!!