PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

VR4Dave
15-02-2005, 12:10 PM
I've had my VR4 a whole month now, and am starting to think about tinkering (not that it needs it - what a car) had one very angry M3 driver and a rather ashamed scooby dooby doh!

Anyway, I've put in three gauges in a customised din plate above the stereo, Boost, Oil temp and Volts? (a throw back from my old mini days) which are super cool 7 colour LED illuminated. Thanks spirit for the pics of boost gauge install.
I also put a snooper in there for obvious reasons.

Apart from the above the car is completely standard and in excellent condition (30k miles), I took it to mitsi and had the AYC and ATF fluids changed (must say my local dealer was great, let me watch them do the work etc) and did the oil and filter according to Wirdy's instructions myself.

I'd like to do the following:
BDA de cat (if he produces again)
Air filter (not sure best options for this)
Manual boost controller (very wary about getting this wrong)

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where to start? I would say I'm reasonable with a spanner probably a 4 spanner according to haynes, but I don't want to kill my new toy. And never had a turbo b4!

valmes
15-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Get yourself new air filter (stock) it will do fine... or if you want something aftermarket, that would be ARC - just drop in to your existing box.

Got exhaust upgraded? That made real difference on my car.

Next thing - get a good digital boost controller. Don't mess with manual one... set it to 0,8-0,85 bar.

That's about it for the first step.

You should see some power gains there! :) Leave it at that and unless you get power-hungry don’t mod anything else! :)

PS: You will come back, sooner or latter with more questions http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/images/smilies/devil.gif !!! Hehe... most of us do get power-hungry very fast!

enigma
15-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Power hungry...........moi?!

valmes
15-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Power hungry...........moi?!

Errr... Dave, are you trying to speak Russian or I didn't get it in English?
Sorry if I sound dumb, but what's "moi"? :inquisiti

Nick Mann
15-02-2005, 02:10 PM
what's "moi"?

French for 'Me'. It's a British expression, I think.

And I would echo some of the comments made above. I have recently discovered that I have an HKS panel filter in the existing box. I am quite pleased, as I think that could be the best way forwards. People with pod filters are sometimes seeing power drops due to the air going in being warm.

Definitely go for the exhaust upgrade. I personally think the back box is very restrictive at high revs (doesn't let the gas out quickly enough?) so chokes the engine towards the red line. I think the back box makes a bigger difference than the de-cat. I'd reccomment the de-cat as well though!

As for boost - I can't really help. Just make sure that you don't lean out - there seem to be a few damaged engines, and I think each one is due to leaning out.

Come to a meet and throw some ideas around, we can't stop talking when we get on to the subject of VR4's!!

NevGroom
15-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Don't forget the brakes - Took advice from here and had the Nat grooves fitted to the front, they do make a difference.

The Boost discussion Has been useful reading - Having the Greddy fitted on Thursday - Setting recommendations vary from .8 to .9, Will certainly not be looking to exceed this (without some 110+ octane fuel in the mix!).

How much work needs to be done on these so-called "universal" back boxes to fit them to the VR4?

Nev

Spirit
15-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Have to agree with air filter situation. I got the HKS Super Power Flow fitted to my first VR4, but had it not been fitted already to the second one I probably wouldn't have wasted the £180+ to fit one.

As suggested, go for a replacement HKS/K+N panel filter - agreed it's not as cosmetically pleasing on the eye but there are many doubts over heat soak on the open ones.

Also totally agree with the exhaust and de-cat upgrades - worth the money !

I have the Blitz Dual Spec S boost controller fitted and am very pleased with it, but like most things it's relative to price. It does not have as many extras as some of the others (e.g. Apexi/HKS) but if you are lucky you can pick up a brand new one on eBay for about £170 brand new from Malaysia/Japan direct.

psbarham
15-02-2005, 08:49 PM
And I would echo some of the comments made above. I have recently discovered that I have an HKS panel filter in the existing box. I am quite pleased, as I think that could be the best way forwards. People with pod filters are sometimes seeing power drops due to the air going in being warm.

I had this problem on my v6 with a k&n cone filter so i made up a heat sheild out of ally sheet and that made a hell of a difference , i will post some pictures on how to do it as soon as i can

Lurch
15-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Would be interesting to have a look at that, Was thinking of putting some evo vents to let in some cold air. But a heat shield will be cheaper :)

Spirit
15-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Would be interesting to have a look at that, Was thinking of putting some evo vents to let in some cold air. But a heat shield will be cheaper :)

If it helps here's a pic of my heatshield and my vents :

Lurch
15-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Sweet, thats what I'm thinking along the lines of. Although trying to find a bonet like that is proving difficult. Not really after a carbin fibre one either :)

Will have a go at fabricating a shield I think at first.

Thanks! :)

psbarham
15-02-2005, 09:48 PM
I'll get the camera out tomorrow if it's still light when i get homeand take a few piccys

psbarham
16-02-2005, 09:52 PM
hope these are of some help to you its not the pretiest bit of fabrication but it works well

Lurch
17-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Thats a huge help... just what I'm looking for. Will let you know how I get on, on the weekend :)

DUNLY
22-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Cheers guys, sounding a lot better now. sorry didnt see the threads from a while ago :embarasse . my bad.

cheers again!

colVR4
23-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Wouldn't the heat shield be better in plastic? Surely a metal heat shield will heat up eventually and act as a heat source itself. I am not convinced that the heat shields work as surely it is the ambient temperature in the engine bay that is the killer.

Good venting and air flow is the only thing that can overcome this. The original airbox would therefore probably do a better job, with a replacement panel filter...but you don't get the induction sound.

Does that make any sense to the rest of you?

V6nut
25-08-2005, 08:49 PM
/Hijack :-ished: Sorry for the invasion peeps,anyone know if an HKS induction kit for a VR4 would fit a 2.5 v6 sport? Any ideas? :happy:

psbarham
25-08-2005, 09:02 PM
if its the one on ebay then no , its for the old 2.0 l one

Nick Mann
25-08-2005, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the MAF is the same shape on all 8g galants. Can anyone say if I'm wrong? If so, any kit will fit any 8g galant. But as psb says, check its for an 8g galant and not the 6g or 7g.

ANTHONY
25-08-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm pretty sure the MAF is the same shape on all 8g galants. Can anyone say if I'm wrong? If so, any kit will fit any 8g galant. But as psb says, check its for an 8g galant and not the 6g or 7g. i think your right nick. its the same as a 2.0 2.5 and the vr-4 the air box is the same and so is the MAF adaptor you will need to to fit a cone filter