PDA

View Full Version : eliminating the PCV valve....

rajvr497
13-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Hi guys,i'am thinking about eliminating my PCV valve and running two separate hose from the two rocker covers into a oil catch can and let it out into the atmosphere.
Reason for doing this is to eliminate the blow by from getting into the inlet manifold,dirtying the throttle body,intercooler,piping etc.
Anyone ever did this??????

Davezj
13-06-2014, 01:43 PM
sorry raj you have got you theory wrong.
the PCV valve goes directly from the front rocker cover to the inlet of each cylinder via the internal tube that runs the full length of the inlet manifold. it does not go anywhere near the inlet pipework intercooler and throttle body.

the only pipe you need to remove to eliminate the blow by gasses getting into the inlet pipe work intercooler and throttle body is the one that goes from the rear rocker cover to the inlet pipework. then plug the hole in the inlet pipework and fit 1 oil catch can (or 2 if you want) and vent it to atmosphere.
the only issue with doing this is you will loose the vacuum effect of the inlet system sucking the oil vapour into you catch can. you will be relying soley on the positive pressure generated in the crank case to by the blow by gasses to force the oil vapour into the catch can.

rajvr497
14-06-2014, 10:47 PM
do you think the PCV gasses/oil will affect anything?thinking about venting that also.....

Davezj
14-06-2014, 11:41 PM
do you think the PCV gasses/oil will affect anything?thinking about venting that also.....

The PCV valve is only open to suck oil vapor through when the inlet manifold is under vacuum, when the inlet manifold is in positive pressure the one way valve in the PCV is shut to stop the boost pressure going into the crank case.
i do not believe venting the rocker cover from the PCV position will do nothing for you.

rajvr497
15-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Ok,thanks a lot dave.....

Davezj
15-06-2014, 01:33 AM
no problems, i only know this as i have already gone down the route of playing with the PCV and catch cans, with some interesting results. but now the only thing i would do is consider running two pcv valve one in the front as standard but add another in the rear, i have not tested this yet but it is on my todo list.

rajvr497
15-06-2014, 10:43 AM
keep me informed with your progress....