PDA

View Full Version : Penrite oils ???

Dannyb
19-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Hey there all, just seeing what you guys all think ... i just got some penrite everyday plus 10w40 . is there anyone else using this ? its a semisynthetic oil. I know alot of people use 0w30 5w30 and other simular fully synthetic. in my car at the moment is penrite pro 15 15w40. i bought it like this. car has only done 129 000ks. what do you guys think ?
Cheers

chris g
19-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Less easily available there but lots of use of AMSOIL in engine and particularly gearbox in the UK...

Nick Mann
19-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Don't use a semi synthetic. The turbos will kill it quickly - this leads to loss of lubrication, greater wear, poor performance, louder tappets etc.

Dannyb
20-06-2014, 08:01 AM
The guy i bought my car off said he gave it an oil change with penrite pro 15 which is a 15w40 semi synthetic, he also used half a bottle of MBL8 concerntrate oil additive. i have done about 3000ks on this and oil levels are still looking good. i havent felt the car on any other oils so i cant compare, but to be honest car seems to feel like its going well.

Nick Mann
20-06-2014, 08:21 AM
It's unlikely that a semi synthetic will kill your engine instantly, but the better the oil, the longer your engine and turbos will last and the better your performance will be. I'm not an oil expert, so please feel free to check my point of view, but I can say with conviction that a semi synthetic oil in an 8th gen vr4 is not a good idea.

Dannyb
20-06-2014, 08:44 AM
When its due for a change i may test out the 5w30 or 0w30 or other fully synthetic oil just to see how it goes. only way i can find out for sure i guess. what oil would you say is worth trying ?

Nick Mann
20-06-2014, 09:40 AM
The weights you have mentioned in a fully synthetic oil will be fine. People have personal preferences on brands and weights, I googled and couldn't find much negative on Amsoil. There are plenty of good oils out there though. The most important thing at this point in time is to go for a fully synthetic, a semi synthetic can not withstand the temperature in the turbos and it will lose it's lubrication properties as a result.

Dannyb
21-06-2014, 03:56 AM
The weights you have mentioned in a fully synthetic oil will be fine. People have personal preferences on brands and weights, I googled and couldn't find much negative on Amsoil. There are plenty of good oils out there though. The most important thing at this point in time is to go for a fully synthetic, a semi synthetic can not withstand the temperature in the turbos and it will lose it's lubrication properties as a result. Sweet man, ive taken on board on what youve said. cheers for the help mate.

babasvr4
21-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Hi Danny,
I like the Penrite HPR 15 full synthetic, it lasted better and looked better than when I used Mobil 1 and Nulon 10/40.
The Nulon multivehicle synthetic auto box oil is proving to be better than expected!
Synthetic all the way never compromise here.

chris g
21-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Be careful about some oils describing themselves as 'fully synthetic' as some of them are not what they say...

Maybe search for posts on here by AMSOIL to get some insight into 'synthetic oils'...

wintertidenz
22-06-2014, 05:05 AM
Oh boy, discussion about Amsoil again...

I've used the Penrite HPR 5 - 5w40 full synthetic. The car did like it, but the lifters did get a bit noisy upon startup. It also flushed a lot of crap out of the engine.

Dannyb
22-06-2014, 06:17 AM
Hi Danny,
I like the Penrite HPR 15 full synthetic, it lasted better and looked better than when I used Mobil 1 and Nulon 10/40.
The Nulon multivehicle synthetic auto box oil is proving to be better than expected!
Synthetic all the way never compromise here.
Thanks john, that sounds like something to try. Ill look into it. So many different options! I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

Dannyb
22-06-2014, 06:19 AM
Be careful about some oils describing themselves as 'fully synthetic' as some of them are not what they say...

Maybe search for posts on here by AMSOIL to get some insight into 'synthetic oils'...

Thanks ill have a look into it Chris.