PDA

View Full Version : Power steering pressure relief valve problems

Vr4Galant
26-06-2014, 03:04 AM
After having the car on full lock and at high revs, the power steering will now only work when the revs are high and will make a whining sound.
As talked about in this thread:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?70404-power-steering-help-!&highlight=power+steering

I have pulled the power steering pump apart and found what I believe to be the pressure relief valve which may be causing the problem.

It seemed to move freely and came out easy enough.

There appears to be another spring inside the part pictured above which is closed covering the holes and also wear out the outer ring.

Will this be what is causing the problem and are you able to buy this part seperately?

Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Davezj
26-06-2014, 01:11 PM
I don't know of anyone who has bothered trying to repair the power steering pump after it goes pop and you loose assistance, mainly due to the fact the can be bought for about £30-£40 on the second had club market it is not worth tring to repair for most people.
but i comend you effort in try to fix yours. give @Confused (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/member.php?u=1796) a shout as he seems to be able to fix this issue, well it sound like he has fix one in the past from his comments in the thread you have linked to.
sorry i have not fixed any power steering pumps just replaced them, after doughnuts in the snow.

elnevio
26-06-2014, 03:10 PM
Yep, I also suggested donuts on the Facebook thread! /rally

There was a thread about replacing the PS pump with one from a Vauxhall Calibra, but that's not much use to you down under, unless there is a similar solution available there as well.

Vr4Galant
27-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Will just buy new pump, thanks guys.

Confused
29-06-2014, 03:38 PM
As has been said, I have repaired my P/S pump after some off-roading, it was simply that this valve had become jammed in the "relief" position, and wasn't returning to its original position.

I gave it all a good clean down, and a quick going over with some 2000 grit sand paper to ensure that everything was smooth, as well as doing the same to the hole it goes into in the pump.

After re-assembling, all was good - no replacement parts needed, just pulling apart to re-seat it!

Davezj
29-06-2014, 04:51 PM
cheers for the updated gary, i will try this next time i do doughnuts in the snow.
might save me a bit of money.

Confused
30-06-2014, 10:51 PM
The best bet is to ensure that you don't go onto full lock and hold it there, whilst also having high engine revs. If you can back off the steering by just a few degrees, then I imagine you'll prevent it from occurring in the first place!

When you're stationary, you can hear the extra "load" when hard against the stops, it's this, which disappears when you back off the steering slightly, that you want to avoid, especially at high engine speeds.