PDA

View Full Version : Cracked brake pad!

I-S
16-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Ever since I had the BD discs and pads put on the front of the car I've had a clicking noise coming from the brake. It's not been a problem other than the noise.

Today the rear discs and pads are being changed so I asked the garage to look at the clicking noise (thinking it would just be needing some grease or something).

Apparently one of the brake pads is cracked!

I'm not sure how significant this is from a safety point of view (mitsubishi took the brake and suspension apart and didn't even notice it) as it's been working for 6 months. However, I do want it sorted ASAP.

What's the likely cause of this? Installation? Or a defect in the pad? I've contacted the supplier to see if they can do anything, and they're contacting black diamond for me.

Anyone else had experience of this?

I-S
16-02-2005, 11:46 AM
The current situation looks like it will be that black diamond will replace the pads, but they will not pay for the garage labour to swap them.

The pad replacement works on the basis that I buy a new set, and then they will refund me when they receive the old set back...

I think they should pay the labour to swap the pads because it's a cost incurred as a direct result of the pad failure...

I-S
16-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Just realised on the safety side...

It can't be too bad an issue, because it passed MOT with this problem.

I-S
21-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Right, I've just got back from having the new set of pads fitted. The clicking noise is gone, and I have the old pads to return to BD, although I will get photos first. The pad material is breaking up from one side, around the groove in the centre of the pad.