PDA

View Full Version : Help with split charge system please ?

Humpty's Revenge
27-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Morning Chaps

I'll try to make this as clear as I can. I'm fitting 2 amplifiers in the boot.

1 Amp is 1000w & the other is 720w both amps have 2 30amp fuses & both amps have to take 4awg both are Kenwood amps.

I've got a distribution block with 2 separate fuse holders with 60amp fuses in both.

I want to run a split charge system & have a 50 or 55ah battery already, if this is not enough I will purchase bigger.

I'm having to run 4 Awg wire from the leisure battery through to the distribution block, so will I also need 4 Awg wire for the split charge?

There will be no more than 3 feet between batteries

Now I'm using an Anderson connector so I can remove the battery quickly if needed, what size will I need for that as well please 120a ?.

My question is what size ampage split charge relay will I need & what gauge wire & also what fuse size before & after the split charger ?

/thankyou

Gingerfish
27-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Sorry, I'm not much of a sparky Steve but I know Pugme is doing something similar with his system. Maybe he can offer some wisdom?

Humpty's Revenge
27-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Sorry, I'm not much of a sparky Steve but I know Pugme is doing something similar with his system. Maybe he can offer some wisdom?

Thanks Alex, I did think of Darren Pugme when I posted this

TBH it's becoming a real pain as each other person states different size too which I can't take that chance just in case it's to smaller wire Etc.

Humpty's Revenge
27-06-2014, 09:57 AM
OK just to clarify

I'm using 4 Awg live/earth cables for the Amps & 4 gauge wiring from the leisure battery to the distribution block

I've got a 120a Anderson connector which takes 4 gauge wiring

My leisure battery is 50 or 55ap which I think is to small

I need a 110 or 120 leisure battery but again which type, deep cycle or heavy duty ?

I'm looking at an intelligent split charge relay system:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251491011991?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

All I need to know is what's the best gauge wire to use & the correct ampage for the fuse's/wire & relay

galantnight
27-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Morning Chaps

I'll try to make this as clear as I can. I'm fitting 2 amplifiers in the boot.

1 Amp is 1000w & the other is 720w both amps have 2 30amp fuses & both amps have to take 4awg both are Kenwood amps.

I've got a distribution block with 2 separate fuse holders with 60amp fuses in both.

I want to run a split charge system & have a 50 or 55ah battery already, if this is not enough I will purchase bigger.

I'm having to run 4 Awg wire from the leisure battery through to the distribution block, so will I also need 4 Awg wire for the split charge?

There will be no more than 3 feet between batteries

Now I'm using an Anderson connector so I can remove the battery quickly if needed, what size will I need for that as well please 120a ?.

My question is what size ampage split charge relay will I need & what gauge wire & also what fuse size before & after the split charger ?

/thankyou

Hi Steve,
You say that the amps are 1000 and 720 but is max or RMS if max do you really need this?
if you have a good battery,good well matched cable to the right size like what you are saying your battery will only fail if you run the system without the engine running,
If you find that you get a drop in the power at high demand fit a power cap.
This i what i and my son have and we have no problems. just A thought.
Or ring a installer i can pm the details to you if you want of the place that done my sons,you can say that you are just making inquires but act like you dont know, they like to tell you what is best thing to do.
And just do it yourself lol.
John.

Colin Wiltshire
27-06-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm running a 3000watt and 1600watt amps in mine. I only notice voltage drop or dipping lights when I turn it up loud. However I do have a split charging system to fit at some point, also adding another batt, as well as another 1600watt amp.

wintertidenz
30-06-2014, 05:44 AM
I'd go as big as possible between the batteries - for example I'm running 1/0 gauge to my boot and will be doing the same again when I get my smaller battery sorted out.

As for in the engine bay, I would strongly suggest that you upgrade grounds and the feed from the alternator as it's quite small.

I only went for a big secondary battery because I was expecting to run the CarPC for a few hours at a time with the system going and the car off. If you won't be doing this for extended periods I would just go with a bigger battery.
Also, based on my calculations of those amps it sounds like those ratings may be max not RMS... I'm running a 6-channel JBL amp, CarPC, and 800w RMS monoblock with no issues off a larger battery, and have no problems (about 2000w of power all up).

babasvr4
30-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Ooh! Keep in mind you skip the negative cables underside if you bolt on to the body of the car, run 2 positive cables
if required, you can't beat a mechanical earth for clean power transmission. That being said the best value for money cables are
good jumper leads.

wintertidenz
30-06-2014, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't use a jumper lead for continuous connection of batteries. Depending on the size of them, they will heat up and melt the insulation after a while.

Do it right and get some decent car audio power cable.

Pugme
30-06-2014, 02:48 PM
The best value

Pugme
30-06-2014, 02:50 PM
The best value for money and the cable I am using for my power and earths in my whole car is welding cable.

Normally is listed in mm2 but a conversion can be found online to help to change it to awg.

Ill get somelinks later, I found a good seller that sells the cable in red or black and defent ring termi al connectors for 0/1, 2, 4 gauge.

Will get it tthis evening.

Pugme
30-06-2014, 08:21 PM
the seller is jess1scruff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jess1scruff/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

when you click on a cable in the description there are links for crimp on ring terminals with different sized holes.

and heres a conversion table http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/awg-wire-gauge-d_731.html

wintertidenz
01-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Welding cable is a good choice. A lot of car audio guys used to use it for their runs to the amps.