PDA

View Full Version : VR4 8G Galant face swap/ Front End Conversion

ak-kronos
29-06-2014, 02:51 AM
Hi All,
Haven't been able to find much of anything on this.

I'm getting a 01 8g with a 6a13tt in it and should be coming in the next month or so.
My idea was I wanted something very very sleeper and wouldn't attract any attention both from the police or the general population
So I found the Galant which is quite unseen in Aus. I'd never seen an 8g Galant in person, only ever seeing legnums.

Problem is over the last month when talking to people I've found they're face is more known then I thought largely due to the legnums.
So I've been looking to see if there is any possible face-lift options for the 8G to for example a Magna front end?
As the backs could pretty easily be mistaken for a lancer/magna for someone that didn't know.

So has anyone every done any kind of conversion like this or knows if it is possible?
If so if it would be a straight plug and play (straight fix in swap) or if i would need to do additional things to make the swap work ie make brackets

Nick Mann
29-06-2014, 07:08 AM
I've never heard of anyone doing that. I would be surprised if it is a straight forward swap as even the US version of the 8g is slightly different at the front.

Gly
29-06-2014, 08:57 AM
why would you want to ruin the car by doing that,

TAR
29-06-2014, 09:45 AM
8G Galant/Legnum is a great looking car... and you want to put that ugly face on it!!!

The best way to avoid the attention of the police is to not do anything they would be interested in

:happy:

AKKO
29-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Now I've heard of people with 7G changing the front end to an 8G and those with an 8G going for an Evo X appearance but this is just wrong

Easier to transplant the motor if you must...

ak-kronos
29-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Please understand, I know the front of the Magna is widely considered uglier and that is the entire idea of it.
People don't suspect a Magna and at first glance that is what it would look like.
I have had issues in the past with cops pulling me over in import cars for "random" inspections while just general driving.
After a while you tend to get over having something that people recognize as a possible turbo weapon.
i'd rather keep the performance and majority of the car OEM just make the front look simple and unsuspecting.

Doesn't have to impress people, I'm not overly caring what people think of my car. I just prefer not the constant hassle and inconvenience of pull overs.
That being said, What's peoples experience with the law and these? do you get pulled over much while just general driving?
Oh that and where I am, every fourth or fifth car seems to be a magna.

ak-kronos
29-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Anyway back to business,
I've seen people convert the galant 8g front to eclipses and such and i've heard a story of one guy putting the Galant front on a Magna,
but couldn't find any further information on this.

I'm assuming it would be fairly straight forward as the front quarters are similar and look to be similarly set up.
But i don't know where the bolting points are for the front and if they would match up.
I could see myself needed to make brackets/ adapters or modifying the parts to fit...

Its just i want to do it so in the future if i decide to put the galant front back on to sell or just to drive with, i won't have cut half the OEM mounting parts out.

malachi
29-06-2014, 05:55 PM
isn't the magna a couple of inches wider than the galant

ak-kronos
30-06-2014, 01:30 AM
Thats an issue I thought might happen.
I was looking at possibly the TJ Magna Front, However as long as it fits essentially. If its a few inches wider its going to cause an issue.

Does anyone know of any other front end swaps apart from an evo. Something that will look plain?

ak-kronos
30-06-2014, 01:57 AM
Ok, So theres a 45mm Difference between the width of the two cars.
So it seems the bumper would need to be shortened...
But that would mean the hood won't fit either...*Sigh*
Unless the Galant hood is kept...

Looks like this isn't going to be a walk in the park

otherwise the idea would need to be completely scrapped... and another front end conversion looked at...

Badger_01
30-06-2014, 04:36 AM
Ask the aussie guys on OZVR4 about cop attention, should be next to nothing

babasvr4
30-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Yeah, cops here have mo idea what a Legnum or VR4 is or looks like, too busy with Scooby Doo's!

AKKO
30-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Most confuse it for a Magna anyway...

ak-kronos
01-07-2014, 04:40 AM
Yeah well to be completely Honest with you guys, This issue is the previous imports have been N/a probationary legal
the difference being that this is Twin turbo and I am currently on the last 8 months of my Probationary license...
Thats why i've bought the car, because its something that people don't know.
Vehicles already purchased but i'm doing this as more of a precaution to draw even less attention.
Its only our victorian Highway patrol that would turn they're heads.

I should be right because i only drive 5kms to work and back and not on highways... Only time i would have to worry is highway patrol and undercovers...

I also saw that the lancers face is pretty similar... but again i've got to look at the widths...

Gingerfish
01-07-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm not entirely sure if I have mis-understood the last post but does it essentially mean that you are trying to make your car look like something it isn't because your license doesn't allow you to drive what you've bought? (hope that makes sense!).

wintertidenz
01-07-2014, 07:51 PM
From what I've found on Google, you're not meant to be driving a twin turbo car at all on your probation license.
The prohibited vehicles list includes the Legnum VR4.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/GetYourPs/RestrictionsOnPs/Pplatedriversandprobationaryprohibitedvehicles.htm
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/exeres/2CCDA928-0B07-404D-B6A5-F14AC2356E20.htm

Definitely sounds like you are trying to deceive the police which will land you in more trouble.

AKKO
05-07-2014, 02:34 AM
Just wait the 8-months, less hassle then doing work that you'll regret doing later both for legal and other reasons...

ak-kronos
22-07-2014, 02:01 AM
Yeah, I already purchased the car. When i looked through the probation vehicle database the VR4 wasn't on there.
So I foolishly bought the car.
I'm not going to bother with the face lift.
The car is going to sit in the garage and wait... Maybe get a full licensed friend to drive it to the track.
Meanwhile looks like i'll be driving an old 850cc Fiat lol.