PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild apexi world sport n1 shock

kiwigalant
08-07-2014, 10:57 AM
I've taken these out of my legnum, and one of the front shocks are leaking pretty badly. There was oil all over the lower control arm and shock is much darker than the other side.

Questions is how easily can the leak be fixed and how much would this cost to get rebuilt? Or would it be something I could do myself?

Davezj
08-07-2014, 01:34 PM
i would contact apexi for starters

kiwigalant
09-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Alright I've flicked Apexi Pacific an email. As well as suspension tech here in New Zealand. Anyone know of anywhere else?

Dave I think I remember a thread you started about I think repairing your teins? Would you say it was very difficult? Sorry if I've misquoted what you did.

Davezj
09-07-2014, 10:42 AM
I did rebuild my own tein ha rear suspension and all seem to well at the moment.
To be honest I have only just fitted them back on to the car, so nothing to report so far.

They are work as expected, I will have to give it a week or two driving to really be able to tell.
What I would say is if you are going to go to extent and strip and rebuild you shocks even if it is just for an oil change, replace the top seal at least to ensure they don't leak once you have finished the rebuild. You might damage the top seal when doing the strip. But most rebuilds will be due to the top seal failing and allowing oil to escape from the shock anyway.

The actual strip and rebuild is very easy, but you have know if your shocks are gas charged or not. If they are you have find somewhere that will recharge then for you or have the ability to do it at home. It is only compressed air but you have to be able to it into the shock.

CANDEE
09-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Talk to Autolign, they might be able to help.

kiwigalant
09-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Cheers dave I'll see if I can find any information on these shocks and locate some seals and the oil.

I sent them a message asking if they can help, read on another forum that people were recommending autoalign, just couldnt see it mentioned on their website lol.

kiwigalant
12-07-2014, 11:10 PM
So I've gotten prices from two places, one said $250+gst and other $280inc. Looks like they aren't going to get repaired professionally.

Gly
12-07-2014, 11:21 PM
cheaper to just buy mine, and you wont need a cert :)

kiwigalant
13-07-2014, 06:52 AM
cheaper to just buy mine, and you wont need a cert :)

Haha when I saw you had replied I didn't need to actually read it lol. I'm thinking about it just trying to save up again, all my moneys disappearing since I've gone to part time. Wish my adjusties would sell lol, I'm also considering taking your chrome gear shift surround and the muffler off you too.

Bender
13-07-2014, 07:00 AM
Just fix it Craig and we try them out in my car on a track day :D

kiwigalant
13-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Just fix it Craig and we try them out in my car on a track day :D

Lol I want to try fix them myself, might get decent amount for them then. Would be nice to use them for the track, wish they were more adjustable though.

Bender
13-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Lol I want to try fix them myself, might get decent amount for them then. Would be nice to use them for the track, wish they were more adjustable though.

Ummmmmm could I trust it in my car and on the the track if you repair it yourself? Hahaha

kiwigalant
13-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Of course you can haha. I'll do it proper.

Bender
13-07-2014, 07:51 AM
Lol guess we will see about that :D

Gly
13-07-2014, 11:26 AM
fix them and you'll still get f-all, it seams most vr4 parts just dont fetch a premium most wont bother with coilovers because of the cert expense/hassle.

kiwigalant
13-07-2014, 12:26 PM
You reckon? Wondered whether it was stopping people getting them, and yep having to go through a check costing twice as much again to get a steel plate also isn't helping.

Davezj
13-07-2014, 09:06 PM
find a good cheap shipping agant to the UK and you will sell no problem if they are at the right price.

kiwigalant
13-07-2014, 09:19 PM
find a good cheap shipping agant to the UK and you will sell no problem if they are at the right price.

How much would someone pay for a set over there? I'm about to check ebay uk, is that where most parts are lol?

Gly
13-07-2014, 11:18 PM
last time i sent a set of coil overs to the UK via a freight forward company still cost $250ish and that was 7 years ago!

TBH unless you fixing them to keep there worth naught!