PDA

View Full Version : New Member from New Zealand (South Waikato)

97legnum
24-07-2014, 03:06 AM
Hey guys, I've recently purchased a VR-4 legnum and thought I'd introduce myself.
I'm 26 living in Tokoroa and I'm currently working as a panelbeater.
I found the car on Trademe and realised it was close so I jumped at it as I've always wanted one.
When I bought the car it was running rough, it was misfiring quite bad below 2k rpm. any attempt at spirited driving resulted in fuel cut (I think that's what it was, it was like hitting a wall). Trans was behaving strange too.
Anyway the first thing I did was not drive it, instead6902569024690236902269021690206901969018690 17 googled everything I could about the cars which lead me here. After reading through the entire NZ section I started buying parts.
Plug leads cleaned up and didn't appear to have any damage (so I left them for now), coil packs seemed fine. Plugs were so worn the gaps where around 3mm (obviously my misfire issue). Repco recommended NGK BKR6E11 I chose BKR6Es with the smaller .8mm gap as seems to be the recommendation here. I used Castrol Edge 5w30 and a new filter and 475mils of Rislone oil additive. Topped up the trans with SPIII compatible fluid and installed a new external filter (Mine's pre facelift) cleaned the MAF (sprayed the heck out of it with contact cleaner) and installed a new air filter.

It came on Tien coilovers with an additional spare set. The previous owner told me it failed a WOF because one of the rear shocks was no good, that it was cheaper to buy another set of Tiens than to rebuild one. However he only replaced one rear shock and both sets where not the same (new ones where green and the old ones where gold) so it ended up with different spring rates on the rear. I took care of that of course. One of the adjusters on the rear shocks was so far wound out it was nearly unscrewed. Now I've taken care of everything it's handling like it's on rails now.

Car's running like a dream and is WAY more economical than my 7 series BMW, I got just over 500kms on a full tank of 98 with a little spirited passing but not too much as I want to baby the car:)

I couldn't do a compression test so I did the next best thing and timed a 0-100 without a launch it seems to be doing pretty close to 6 seconds (reaction time with a stopwatch and all) so I imagine the engine's quite healthy. Lifter noise disappeared with the oil change and then came back a bit with the Rislone but only lasts a few seconds when started during the day or a couple of ks when started on a frosty morning.

Actually can anyone elaborate on the lifter noise? I did quite a bit of googling and looking at the 3000gt forums and pajero forums it seems to be more an issue with a build up of grime than wear. Is this right? I could more easily imagine it was a combination of both.

I've waterblasting everything, taken the seats and console out and cleaned everything (there where japanese lollies under the console and chips from years ago lol).

Here are the trademe photos, I haven't yet taken fresh ones.

Oh and one more question, I whent to fit an aftermarket trans oil cooler inline before the factory one. I quickly realised the factory cooler has been bunged up and an aftermarket one already installed (about 300x200 ish) I'm just wondering if I should reconnect the factory one in line with the aftermarket one or just leave it as the sole cooler. I ask because I just purchased the oil (Castrol Transmax Multivehicle SPIII compatible fully synthetic) to do the flush and would rather do it all at the same time. Also, I replaced the trans filter about 100kms ago. Should I replace it again with the flush or leave it? the oil that's in it now is clean and red in colour.

Bender
24-07-2014, 06:53 AM
Hi and welcome to ClubVR4

kiwigalant
24-07-2014, 06:59 AM
Yay another new member from the Waikato :)

Welcome to the forum bro, looks like you picked up a nice car.

97legnum
24-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys. How many are there in the Waikato? I'd be quite keen to attend meets if there are any. There is another guy in Tokoroa with a 97 like mine but in white on 17s, he's familiar with this forum so I'll have to ask him if he's also a member. It is a nice car. The previous owner didn't abuse it, he just didn't have a clue about cars as it was just his family run about. Of course there are a few items I want to replace (perfectionist), the front bumper being one. I'm planning on re spraying the whole car in the summer/yes

kiwigalant
24-07-2014, 08:39 AM
There are a few guys in Hamilton that I remember, one from Cambridge, a guy from Rotorua and I'm in Matamata. Bound to be lots of others that I don't recall or who don't come on often, plus another new member from somewhere in the Waikato.

Awesome hopefully he comes on then too. The ones that have been owned by older/family types seem to be worth taking a look at. Man your bumper look good compared to mine, my front needs replacing and maybe my rear too. You do spray painting as well as beating?

Kenneth
24-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Welcome :)

I guess I am the one from Cambridge. Happy to have a meet some time, there are a few in the area now so could be good to do a meet and greet.

I apologise for being so opportunistic, but my car could do with some panel&pant work so would be very interested in talking to you regarding that :)

Bender
24-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Craig, Rotoura isn't part of the Waikato, it part of the Bay Of Plenty :) I'm from Tauranga, Did live in Tokoroa myself many years ago now.

But a meet does sound like a great idea, It been a long time since was a CVR4 meet, But I'm happy to travel for meets :)

kiwigalant
24-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Yes that would be you lol. A meet would be awesome. I shouldn't forget to mention Bender who is in Tauranga, not Waikato but it's nearby haha.

Lol you could get a lot of work from this club if you want it. My car also deserves some professional work done to it and not to be attacked by me with a spraycan.

Bender
24-07-2014, 09:17 AM
I also myself will be wanting some paint work done to mine as need my Super kit repaint with both bumper's :D

97legnum
24-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Looks like this group could become quite profitable for me/Poms

If I had another damaged bumper I could cut the middle from, I could repair my bumper. You would be amazed at what is repairable. Yes I can paint, I did a six month course in it. it's not a good time of year for it though, unless you have a spray booth:smoking: For small touch ups it's alright to heat a garage but as soon as you try to ventilate it gets too cold. Mind you Tokoroa is pretty freezing lol.

Thanks for the Welcome Kenneth. Don't apologise, with the price of panel&paint ($80 an hour where I work, funny though I only get $17.50 of that) it's become necessary to seek out people doing it on the side. I would be happy to help out with panel&paint work. I'm usually happy with about $25 an hour as I just like to do it as a favor for people.

A meet would be great, just tell me when and where and I will be there lol.

Bender
24-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Once I have my other front bumper on and painted, Your more then welcome to have my front bumper if you wanting a damaged one to cut up.

I'm thinking a meet with a cruise to somewhere.... Anyone have any ideas??

Dannyb
24-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Im also from waikato :) from piopio small town haha

scott.mohekey
24-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Greetings. It sounds like you know what you're doing, so shouldn't have any trouble enjoying a good long ownership of the car!

Dannyb
25-07-2014, 12:45 AM

Ryan
25-07-2014, 01:50 AM

We heard you the first time. :P

Dannyb
25-07-2014, 05:02 AM

Dannyb
25-07-2014, 05:05 AM
We heard you the first time. :P

Just making sure everyone knows haha :D ...