PDA

View Full Version : Repairs seem to be going ok for now

noble105
12-08-2014, 05:10 AM
Well fixing up my legnum is going well for now, got abit of panel beating done today but now im out of sand paper and I need to get some bog mix for the bonnet, pulling the current king springs off of the legnum and will be fitting bilstien adjustable shocks and springs, im gonna need a new set of mags and tyres which is going to cost a bomb, also power steering belt and alternator belt im gonna be fitting tomorrow and also getting some steelies from the wreckers for now. I will post pics of the progress.

Bender
12-08-2014, 06:29 AM
Why don't you get set of Enkie EVO rims? They look great on Legnum's and Galant's

Is set for sale at the moment in Hastings

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=765896761

noble105
12-08-2014, 06:57 AM
unfortunately I cannot afford those sexy rims yet, my main objective is to get the car running and im going to buy some cheap steelies and fix up the wof items so I can get a wof for now, once it passes a wof its going to mods mayhem, ill probs buy some rims that will look good, probs gonna get an hks big bore and when I can a new radiator, because the current one has a crack in the top of it. when the car was going it went well, I would always drive it in tiptronic and when it came to overtaking it went like a bat out of hell. I also need a new head unit and I am going to replace the airfilter box with a pod filter with new silicone hoses because there is a crack in the current one behind the air pressure sensor. once I have popped out most of the dents I will bog the rest then sand the whole car down and spray it with primer until I can decide what color I shall do it. when I go to east coast scrap to get most of my parts it all has been coming off of a legnum vr4, which next week I am going to buy its front bumper which comes with fog lights. once this project car is completed in about a month it will be an eye orgasm hopefully, but I will be running this week (tomorrow) so im pretty excited to take it up the road and back

SEAN-NZ
12-08-2014, 07:36 AM
You should keep the standard air box, im assuming a pod filter will mess with airflow like on a vr4, unless you have a long enough pipe between pod filter and air flow meter

noble105
12-08-2014, 08:03 AM
it can mess with the airflow, it all depends on the placement of the pipes and pod filter it self, but it will eventually be turboed in the future

CANDEE
12-08-2014, 10:10 PM
You can get the correct pod adaptors to stop the airflow issues. The issue then becomes hot air, but a airbox and cold air feed and you will be fine.

noble105
13-08-2014, 07:31 AM
well I got a few belts today, the alternator belt and power steering belt, I fitted the new shocks and springs today as well as the alternator belt, once I got the right tension in the belt there were no squeels and I turned her over and she purred like a kitten, only one extra problem to add to my list though.... exaust smoke 0.0 which there is a lot of

noble105
14-08-2014, 06:08 AM
well today was not as productive but I got a few things done, pulled out the throttle body and it was caked full of crap, so I gave it a good clean but I have also noticed the intake manifold is also caked full of crap, so im going to clean that out one day. also went to east coast scrap and found a vr4 sitting ontop of a skyline.... I was like a little kid getting a present haha so I now have new quarter panels and a bonnet, also looked under its hood and its engine is intact.... so I took its strut bars and intake pipeing, just gotta clean and put all the parts on

noble105
16-08-2014, 03:55 PM
I have ran into an engine issue with the 4g64.... it will not idol by itself, and when I turn it over and it starts the exaust starts spitting out a lot of black crap which I assume to be oil, the car is due for an oil change but there is no sign of coolent/water contamination in the oil so I am left wondering why it is doing this, I have not changed anything to do with the engine because I haven't had time to pull off the intake manifold and clean all the crap out and check the injectors whilst im at it, does anyone know why or have an idea why the car wants to spit out and coat my lawn with black crap?

Subaru ETA
16-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Because it is a GDI!
Has the battery been disconnected or the idle steeper motor been unplugged?
Sounds like it needs to relearn its idle

noble105
16-08-2014, 11:32 PM
I have cleaned out the throttle body, I unplugged it and pulled it off and cleaned it out, also the battery has been disconnected many times, but the exaust is spitting out oil and smokeing like all hell... right now im thinking piston rings (hopefully im wrong) but I think I need to plug into the ecu and retrieve error codes

Subaru ETA
17-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Do an idle relearn and take it for a thrash see if it clears up, then start worrying!

noble105
17-08-2014, 01:48 AM
how can you make it relearn to idle? also the engine shudders and crap, it has done 325000kms on it, but once I have fixed the panels up im going to start working on the engine, new gaskits all round, new oil filter and a oil change, new spark plugs.etc, it already has new coils but if its going to cost me over 500 to fix the engine im just going to drop a new engine into it

wintertidenz
17-08-2014, 02:09 AM
After disconnecting the battery start it and let it idle for 15 minutes, restarting it if it dies.
I've found that the idle is actually better if you turn off the heater while it re-learns too - I had to swap out my battery yesterday, let it re-learn on AC and the car idles like crap now.

noble105
23-08-2014, 04:59 PM
yea i have figured out another issue which would have contributed to the idling issue, a coil or spark plug is gone, also would explain crap coming out of the exhaust and smoking, on Tuesday im going to get new spark plugs and a coil pack, this way i know coils and sparkys will no longer be a future issue, should also help with the idle issue, but so far thats the only issue left with the engine, apart from i havent fitted the power steering belt yet due to me being lazy but all the rest of the work will be done on fixing up the body and a few wof items

noble105
09-09-2014, 10:25 PM
well the legnum is running on all cylinders but still will not idle by itself, if i take my foot off of the gas it will die and when i start it up again it will idle really roughly and if i give it gas it will only rev up to 1500 rpm max, how ever i disconnect the negative on the battery and after 20 seconds i reconnect and crank her she lets me rev her but will not idle, this issue is really stumping me, im thinking it could be the maf or o2 sensor or both, i cannot tell due to im waiting for my diagnostic cables to arrive in the mail, the engine is a 4g64 2.4l gdi, im also thinking it could be the carbon buildup somewhere along the intake manifold, valves or piston crowns but no matter what the only time it idles is when it goes into the funky wont let me rev it mode and when it does that it runs quite rough. can someone please give me abit of advice on how to go about diagnosing this issue without my obd2 cable

SEAN-NZ
10-09-2014, 06:00 AM
Unplug the maf, or O2 sensor

noble105
10-09-2014, 07:05 AM
had the maf unpluged and it still did the same thing just wouldnt rev as high as 1000 rpm, so i assume its the maf sensor, gonna have to get another one, i might as well replace the o2 sensor whilst im at it, its probs due to be replaced, also changed the oil and oil filter.... it was very black, and it hasent had one since i brought it. one thing i noticed was when i checked the oil today before i changed it it was way over full 0.0 maybe this is why the exaust is smokeing at 2000+rpm

SEAN-NZ
10-09-2014, 12:08 PM
I don't know the 2.4 at all, but i would assume it would run pretty ok with maf unplugged if that was the issue, tried unplugging O2 sensor?

noble105
10-09-2014, 11:19 PM
yea the o2 sensor dont really make a diffrence either i brought the car and i did expect it to have some issues (holes in exaust, missing fuses and relays, smokeing pretty bad, too much oil in it nd now maf/o2) i think it might be a good idea just to wait for my obd2 cables to ship to here

noble105
12-09-2014, 05:19 AM
i cleaned out the maf sensor but had little increase but still will not idle, but the car is def no longer burning oil, its just white smoke that smells like petrol so i assume its running rich, would this be the o2 sensor? i haven't gotten around to replacing it but i know it looks like **** so its time to replace but just waiting for payday hehe, also i saw my fuel gauge hit e and fuel light come on faster than normal