PDA

View Full Version : issue with traction control ( advice needed )

rockyrobin
16-08-2014, 01:35 AM
hi all.

i have been having an issue with my traction control system.

when the car slides , the system cuts the power , down to 700 rpm
i have tried switching the system off but the traction control keeps kicking in and
kills the power.

i know the system is designed to stop you sliding but it dose not stop you from sliding.

it waits till you are in a slide , then half way through the slide , the power dies and you end up spinning out

dose anyone know the best way to remove the system or disable it.

thanks

wintertidenz
16-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Are you sure it's not ASC kicking in instead? That system can't be turned off. Traction control can.

elnevio
16-08-2014, 12:22 PM
It definitely sounds like the ASC kicking in. But it shouldn't be like you describe.

Pull the fault codes, there may be a clue there. /yes

rockyrobin
16-08-2014, 06:53 PM
thanks guys./GJ

never thought about the ASC.

i will pull the codes tomorrow and have a look.

any idea where the OBD socket is ?

crazydriver81
16-08-2014, 08:40 PM
left knee, drivers side, below the steering wheel - you can'T miss when you looks upwards from the foot area ;)

rockyrobin
16-08-2014, 09:06 PM
thanks Stefan :d

hopefully i can get this issue sorted fast.

wintertidenz
17-08-2014, 02:12 AM
The systems when working correctly will prevent you from sliding in the first place. I know I can't take a 90 degree upward corner at speed with ASC and TCL on without it kicking in hard and fast.

rockyrobin
17-08-2014, 07:34 PM
can the car be used for drifting with the ASC system .
can it be removed?

Subaru ETA
18-08-2014, 06:25 AM
Probably purchased the wrong car if you want to use it for drifting!

Pugme
18-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Lol I thought the exact same thing.

Specially seeing as the power steering pump cant even handle full lock without breaking!! Its a known fault that you never go full lock lol

rockyrobin
18-08-2014, 11:43 PM
lol

no guys, dont want to go drifting in the car.

just wondering if there is something i can do to stop the loss in power so i can be in control of the car if it slides again.

i may not be so lucky next time.

Pugme
19-08-2014, 07:26 AM
Whats making it slide?

I dont exactly drive mine hard anymore but ive been round the ring and done a trackday where a friend whos an experienced track driver took mine out and even he was shocked he couldnt make it slide.

What tyres have you got on it?

wintertidenz
19-08-2014, 08:28 AM
I've only ever spun my car once and that was due to an ABS/ASC fault locking one of the calipers.

If you're getting power cut down that much then I'd double check you actually have TCL turned off, or do the blinky dash diagnostics.

rockyrobin
21-08-2014, 11:17 AM
I've only ever spun my car once and that was due to an ABS/ASC fault locking one of the calipers.

If you're getting power cut down that much then I'd double check you actually have TCL turned off, or do the blinky dash diagnostics.

whats the blinky dash diagnostics?

rockyrobin
21-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Whats making it slide?

I dont exactly drive mine hard anymore but ive been round the ring and done a trackday where a friend whos an experienced track driver took mine out and even he was shocked he couldnt make it slide.

What tyres have you got on it?

i am not sure what is making it slide , it feels like the ayc or traction control has a pause in it.

you will start sliding , then after you are really into the slide the system cuts all power,

the car has a full set of yokohama tyers on it with about 5mm of tred left .

the last time it stepped out , i was about a 45 degree angle, my back wheels were on the white line and my bumper was kissing the kerb.
i was in the slide for around 2 to 3 seconds before the system cut the power ,
but with me steering into the skid, once the power died , it through me off doing a 360.

wintertidenz
21-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Have a look on here - there is a way to pull the codes from the ECUs.

With these cars you steer in the direction you want it to go, not into the skid - it's a sure way to spin. The electronics sort themselves out, you just point the car in the direction you want to go.

Confused
21-08-2014, 01:40 PM
On a recent airfield day, vven with TCL switched off, and giving it full throttle in 2nd gear out of a 90 degree corner, mine hardly stepped out at all, before the ASC snapped it right back into line - no matter what I tried, it just wouldn't go sideways properly!

Next time, I'm pulling the AYC and ASC fuses, and trying again!

rockyrobin
23-08-2014, 01:29 AM
Have a look on here - there is a way to pull the codes from the ECUs.

With these cars you steer in the direction you want it to go, not into the skid - it's a sure way to spin. The electronics sort themselves out, you just point the car in the direction you want to go.

i will have a look bud,

think that just relying on the electronics would scare the crap out of me ( because i am not in control )
putting my faith in a computer made in 1996 ,

:givemebee

rockyrobin
23-08-2014, 01:30 AM
On a recent airfield day, vven with TCL switched off, and giving it full throttle in 2nd gear out of a 90 degree corner, mine hardly stepped out at all, before the ASC snapped it right back into line - no matter what I tried, it just wouldn't go sideways properly!

Next time, I'm pulling the AYC and ASC fuses, and trying again!

let me know if it works garry

gazmk2
24-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Even full throttle in 2nd coming off that tight bend before the straight at Curborough my car refused to even nearly step out! And it was raining! You could hear the tires complaining and I had all 3 AYC lights on but the old girl just hauled ass out of the bend!