PDA

View Full Version : Fmic

joetheeskimo
16-08-2014, 08:56 PM
If i get my self a universal FMIC can i just get two silicone right angle pipes to connect to standard pipes.

What size core, length and height should i go for, Also what is the intercooler pipe diameter.

Thanks

Subaru ETA
16-08-2014, 09:25 PM
If you do a search this had been covered many times before

giblet
16-08-2014, 10:00 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?71562-need-front-mount-interccoler-help have a read of that

billybobboot
20-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Thing i found in the past is if its a cheap universal intercooler it dosn perform any near as good as a greddy or top brand.
2 reasons
1. The inside isnt designed as well e.g. there are harsher angles and eddges inside. Making uneven flow from end to end
2. The airflow bars i.e. the bits that are in the middle of the 2 ends if you look a greddy ect are rounded at the ends alows the air to a flow threw better and more alows the air outside to flow all round the pipes. Cheap ones are rectangular and flat all the way round the outside air hits this and misses some of it.

I know this as had a cheap greddy copy on mr2 after putting on greddy nothing elts changed got 15hp extra as the cooling and flow was so much better.

Pugme
22-08-2014, 08:47 AM
The trouble with a vr4 engine is your never going to break past the 320bhp ish sort of of mark without upgrading the turbos which is a big job in itself.

Mine is going to thor motors port in the not too distant future for a map and dyno run as they have a hub dyno there and I can't get into a normal one. I have all available "bolt on" mods attached and I don't expect my figure to be much over the 300bhp mark, I am running a £90 eBay intercooler and it works fine on the car. I don't think warranted gains would be had from spending 5 to 6 times this amount on an intercooler for this engine unless td04's or something else were being fitted

Better gains can be had by spending that extra cash elsewhere

billybobboot
22-08-2014, 11:33 PM
Im not saying cheap ones are no good just found in the past that there not as good. I thought a 15 hp hike from a better flow was quite alot from a intercooler i know the cheap ones can make a difference was just adding my experiences ive had with intercoolers over the years. But i know diffrent engines react to same mods differently. Due to the difference i had ive always gone with greddy as higher power if i chose or choose to go there i wouldnt have to changr it + least restrictions and better flow pos adds less stress to turbos as there not havong to force threw the bad air flow.