PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Options

giblet
17-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Had a set of downpipes (fassi) and a decat (3" ebay) fitted a couple of days ago. Still have the stock rear section and back box. The exhaust note seems to have increased a tad which is nice, just trying to figure out where to go from here.

From what I have seen the rear section has two silencers fitted. I'm leaning towards getting an electronic exhaust cut out valve fitted and the best spot seems to be on the decat itself so it bypasses the rest of the stock system. Is it worth getting an aftermarket rear section and backbox made up with 3" pipework throughout? Would want to keep silencers the system to keep the exhaust note sensible for daily use. Cut out valve would allow me to have some anti social fun when out in the Dales etc.

giblet
10-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Time for a follow up. Hopefully someone will reply this time!

Rear section needs replacing. Has anyone ever removed either of the two silencers and how did it affect the exhaust note and overall noise levels?

I want to keep the stock backbox but if a 3" rear section with one silencer results in a improved exhaust note without any drone at motorway soeeds then I may have to give it a go.

Nick Mann
10-04-2015, 08:05 AM
The stock back box is restrictive. In the past I have had a decat and a fujitsubo back box on a stock exhaust and that was fine from a noise point of view and much less restrictive. The car revved so much better that it hit the rev limiter in first gear before the gearbox had time to change.

So personally I would lose the back box unless you get the bypass fitted soonish.

adaxo
10-04-2015, 09:05 AM
I think ex WildCards dads car has straight through pipe up to original back box and it sounds very 'meaty' drone-ish on idle and very low rpm and completely quiet on motorway.

giblet
10-04-2015, 09:13 AM
Hmm. I'll have to see what back boxes the exhaust place has. I want something just a tad louder, nothing as loud as the Fujitsubo was on my first VR4. I guess I could always get them to weld on the stock tip so it looks factory still.

Nick Mann
10-04-2015, 10:48 AM
What was between the downpipes and the fujitsubo back box? You need in line silencers and a back box as a minimum to stop droning IMO.

giblet
10-04-2015, 11:14 AM
I'll double check the pictures on my laptop when I get home but I'm fairly certain the setup on my first VR4 was stock downpipes, decat pipe and then the fujitsubo rear section and back box.

I'm only doing all this to amuse myself as I keep looking at V8 engined cars again :|

Nick Mann
10-04-2015, 11:20 AM
There are different versions of the fujitsubo exhaust. Iirc some have in line silencers and some don't. I seem to recall different size back boxes too.

Confused
10-04-2015, 12:10 PM
I've got the BlueFlame which Camskill used to sell.

They don't appear to sell it any more, and I can't be bothered to go out to the garage to check what it's got in the way of silencers, but it doesn't drone when on the motorway.

Confused
10-04-2015, 12:16 PM
But, here are some videos I've taken over the years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9_MzvmdMFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOeXyOT7prQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqLel-5FEYc

galantnight
10-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Hi Gib,
I have a 3" decat with just a custom Longlife back box

If you look on Fassi post for his down pipes he fitted mine

Post 62 is the fitting and post 71 is before and after ok

Hope this helps

John

giblet
10-04-2015, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the replies folks.

Nick, it appears I had the Fujitsubo Legalis R Type Evolution which had 2 small silencers. I'll have a chat with the exhaust place and see what they can offer.

wintertidenz
10-04-2015, 10:10 PM
I'm running a 3" system with one resonator and a straight through muffler. It has a deep tone, but does have a little drone at motorway speeds. I'm used to it now though so barely notice it.

Chris.W
14-04-2015, 05:35 PM
I got a full custom system. It is 3" all the way with no cat or silencers, just a backbox (can't remember what type). Some sort of "vortex" tube in it and it sounds great, has a real rip under acceleration. Almost race carish :)

billybobboot
14-04-2015, 06:09 PM
My twin has no drone. Its got downpipes, decat 3inch all threw till just before the rear diff the splits into 2 2.75 with 3 inch tails with noise reducer ribs in the tail pipes its got 2 small silencers and a small back box each side its made by ganador. My one prob is its not loud threw tunnels at open revs sort of just growls
But its perfect for a little extra noise that wont wake the nabours but gives far better flow and means no baffles come track day.