PDA

View Full Version : Using AYC to get out of skid

Robotnik123
19-08-2014, 09:53 AM
The other day I went on a driver training course where they taught us about modern safety systems like Electronic Stability Program (ESP).

To get out of a skid in a car with ESP all you need to do is point the car in the direction you want it to go and the system will do the rest. To keep from over correcting as you might tend to do if you panic, you should keep your gaze on the far horizon and not look at things too close in.

Of course a VR-4 Galant does not have ESP, but would AYC work in a similar way? I expect you might need to stay on the gas to keep the AYC going, whereas with ESP you can do whatever including braking hard which is OK to do due to ABS with EBD.

wintertidenz
19-08-2014, 11:17 AM
I know that the ASC and TCL will do this but to a lesser extent when TCL is off. It snaps the car back in line quite hard and suddenly - if you don't expect it, and the wheel is pointing another way, it can be a big shock.

AYC should allow you to power out of the skid I would think.

CANDEE
19-08-2014, 11:33 AM
If you change the gas input at any point in a skid with AYC, you are stuffed. The AYC computer at that point has no idea what you are up to and throws its hands up and around you go. Have had a couple of spins at manfield for this reason. Its also the reason why there is no ayc in my car atm(apart from the diff). ;)

chris g
19-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Counter-intuitive and contrary to training but with AYC but steer the way you want to go - use throttle and do not steer into the skid, at least not when you may drive into the Armco at the side of the track...

chris g
19-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Counter-intuitive and contrary to training but with AYC steer the way you want to go - use throttle and do not steer into the skid, at least not when you may drive into the Armco at the side of the track...

Chris.W
19-08-2014, 12:02 PM
The last big slide i had involved countersteer and lots of right foot. My manual didn't come with tcl or asc. Iirc the ayc will only transfer power from left to right accross the rear wheels when the abs sensors detect one wheel turning faster than the other. Thus moving the power to the wheel with most grip. But if you lift off, the ayc comp removes the input to the ayc pump disengaging the ayc clutch within the rear diff and off you pirouetee backwards through a bush. I made the mistake of lifting of mid slide in the rain whilst at knockhill, this resulted in me spinning off the track and traveling backwards accross wet grass at 70mph, paralel to the armco which was about 4 feet away. Put the wind right up me.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point out the holes in my explanation soon enough :-)

Robotnik123
19-08-2014, 12:02 PM
I wonder if a front wheel drive car with ESP like say a mk5 Volkswagen Golf GTI can outhandle an older AWD car like the VR-4. For the average driver at least, I expect it can.

Nick Mann
19-08-2014, 01:29 PM
The FWD cars I have driven with ESP etc recently don;t hold a candle to a VR4 IMO.

The AYC looks at G sensors, steering wheel angle and throttle position as well as wheel speed sensors. It should always be sorting out the torque transfer in the best possible way. Having said that, if you lift off then the torque disappears so it can't be transferred. So I'm with people above, don't lift off unless you have a large escape area!!

TAR
19-08-2014, 04:23 PM
ASC (ESP or stability control) also uses all the sensors Nick mentions above. It is designed to stop you from being able to get into a skid. If you make sudden changes in steering direction, it will apply brakes and cut the power to the drive train in order to prevent a skid. Todays cars must have this fitted to be sold in European countries.
Its one of those inventions which really does save lives.
:happy:

CANDEE
19-08-2014, 09:13 PM
I made the mistake of lifting of mid slide in the rain whilst at knockhill, this resulted in me spinning off the track and traveling backwards accross wet grass at 70mph, paralel to the armco which was about 4 feet away. Put the wind right up me.

My last spin was similar to yours, however I was in the dry and got into a tank slapper(wasnt watching my speed through the esses's at Manfield Autocourse) and went backwards over the wet grass towards the armco.

Im going to LSD to avoid this issue.. :P

wintertidenz
20-08-2014, 08:55 AM
I've also found that AYC actuates while braking, so remember that as well... as long as it has torque across the rear axle to transfer it will do it.

If you don't believe me, get up to speed and slam on the brakes... AYC goes NUTS :P

SEAN-NZ
20-08-2014, 09:07 AM
I had mine activate while driving slow on a dodgy rocky/gravel/dirt rd, was doing 20ish road was that crap

Nick Mann
20-08-2014, 12:20 PM
I've had mine go nuts whilst braking, but only when the surface and grip was dodgy. Normally my car will chirp the tyres in a straight line whilst braking before ABS and AYC start cutting in. I've never looked at the AYC whilst braking hard in a corner - my mind is usually far too occupied by the fact I am braking hard in a corner to think about AYC bars!!

I figure that the AYC can try and move torque around regardless, but if you are travelling at a steady speed then the torque available to be moved is minimal.