PDA

View Full Version : Door Check Strap Problem

WillVR4
19-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Hiya,

Having a small issue that I am struggling to resolve. My drivers side door check strap recently came away from the car body when the bold oddly sheared. I thought it would be simple to fix by removing the wing to get in behind where the bolt goes through. However I have discovered that the bolt goes into a cavity that runs down from the A-pillar. I can't see any obvious way in from the interior. Can anyone shed any light on how I access? PLease, please, please don't tell me it's a dash out job...

Cheers

Will

Colin Wiltshire
19-08-2014, 05:15 PM
I would guess at, saying the best way, is to drill out old bolt and put in a new 1. That's if the retaining nuts still good.

Ghost_2008
20-08-2014, 06:40 PM
My retaining bolt came off years ago, I managed to put a repair washer through the hole with a bolt, another repair washer over the bolt on the outside of the door frame, slip the strap/arm over the top and nipped up with the nut.... It was a complete faf buts held for a couple of years, needs nipping up from time to time.....

WillVR4
23-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Cheers, yeah my retaining nut has gone awol as well, just struggling to get washer/bolt through the hole! :S

Ghost_2008
26-08-2014, 08:01 PM
I think I folded the washer with bolt already in place, as I tightened the bolt/nut the washer returned to its original shape.... I hope makes some Spence...