PDA

View Full Version : Getting a grumble at 60mph

gazmk2
23-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Hey dudes

My '97 PFL auto Legnum has started to make a bit of a noise, I'd describe it has a low pitch grumble. It seems to only occur when on load (under acceleration) and only at around 60-65mph.

The noise stays the same pitch and volume regardless of what gear i'm in and it literally seems to come in at 60 and go away above 65 and it stops as soon as you back off the accelerator. It's also quite hard to tell where its coming from, to me it sounds like its coming from the drivers footwell but i'm guessing its not as the only thing there is a driveshaft!

Has anybody excperienced this before or might have a clue what it could be?

Cheers dudes

Gary

Nick Mann
24-08-2014, 09:47 AM
My guesses would be a diff or a wheel bearing. I'd be tempted to drop the oil in the transfer box and see how silver it is. Then a 2 post lift and the wheels spinning whilst underneath with a mechanics stethoscope.

WOODY72
24-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Have you tried duck taping the Mrs Gaz? /Devil5

gazmk2
25-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Have you tried duck taping the Mrs Gaz? /Devil5

LOL tried and failed bud!!

I don't have access to a 2 post lift Nick but I suppose I could just drop the oil in the transfer box anyway. I have no idea when it was last done! I haven't done it in my 35k miles of ownership so probably needs changing anyway!

Cheers guys

Gary

SEAN-NZ
25-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Wouldn't 4 axel stands be sufficient? Unless you aren't confident being underneath a running car

gazmk2
25-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Yeah I have 4 fairly high axle stands and an old 10 tonne trolly jack for lifting larger vehicles with (can lift my car 3ft in the air!!) I just find it a massive faff getting the whole car on stands as it takes me the best part of 45 mins to do it!

SEAN-NZ
25-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Trying to get them all to line up properly without feeling like the cars going to tip during?

gazmk2
25-08-2014, 01:30 PM
It's more getting the jack into a position that allows me to get a stand in with out the jack being in the way! The 10 Tonne one is bloody huge! I do have a smaller 2 ton but it wont lift that high.