PDA

View Full Version : Does BOV location matter?

low_vr4
25-08-2014, 12:14 AM
So i am going to get my hard piping redone in my car.
I have noticed a few 6a13tt's with the bov located on top of the engine bay next to the engine cover on that piping.
Mine is located by the left front wheel.
Does bov location make any difference to performance?

Thanks

crazydriver81
25-08-2014, 08:23 AM
There are HKS and SARD pipes which replace the plastic elbow in front of the throttle body - where you can mount a BOV. Though both are not longer available from new, only second hand.

There should be no difference performance-wise, but you only can use VTA BOV's at this location and the factory item is a recirc BOV.

billybobboot
25-08-2014, 09:24 AM
You get slight better responce from the throttle the closer the bov is to the throttle. Did tests on fiat coupes years ago when developing intercooler system when worked for a tuning company there was no diffrence in power but found the air flow kept moving up the pipes from turbo to throttle body with it near the throttle body where when nearer the turbo there was a slight delay as the air was having to move back a forth threw the pipes. + helps keep the turbo spinning better as the air is all trying to flow the same way all the time except for the very small bit beteeen bov and throttle body. We found made biggest diffrence with big front mounts. Why we did several tests and found on coupe engines running stock turbo and gt30 the following
Stock ran better and more powerful with stock air filter box but bmc panel, with uptrated intercooler in stock location with small charge cooler with built in bov point just before tb.
Uprated turbo found big front mouth itg air filter and bov located on bend right before tb. We didnt sell kits with itg filters due to foam not stopping as much dust.
Thought this maybe useful as coupes have sim engine space to vr4