PDA

View Full Version : Valvoline SynPower Vs. Mobile 1 5w50

Kyoshu
19-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Had the car serviced 1 1/2 weeks ago and decided to use valvoline since it was a bit cheaper. That and valvoline recomended it for high performance/turbo cars.

Stinky.

It's only been 1 1/2 weeks and although the oil is still relatively clear, it is already down to 1/2 full. I also noticed that the oil temp rose a lot faster and reached a higher temp than when I was on Mobil 1.

Also, with the faster/higher temp rise, I noticed increased load on the turbo compared to when I was running Mobil 1. Heat soak?

I've used Mobil 1 5w50 today to bring the level back up to full. Will see how it goes from there. If anyone is thinking of using synpower 5w40, don't bother.

Pescha
19-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Mmmm I run valvoline and had no problems, been running it for over 18 months! Never used any oil ever!

Cheers,
Pescha!

Kyoshu
19-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Yeah, it's strange.

I had the car checked out again, since it was burning oil during our meet. It was the 1st real drive I gave the car post service, as I use the civic during the week. All checked out fine and I haven't had the oil burning since that day.
I'm starting to get paranoid about something going wrong, but no doubt my warrantee will cover any issue.