PDA

View Full Version : fuel return line

Colin Wiltshire
19-09-2014, 03:27 PM
I'm guessing this is the fuel return line in the tank behind the pump it's self. I noticed while changing the pump last week, that the pipe dropping down behind the pump, that goes into a plastic thing, has a rubber seal that isn't actually sealing. Would this cause any issues? It's an easy fix, but don't really want to take the pump assembly out again. That bloody ring that locks the assembly in, is a pain to get back in.

Davezj
19-09-2014, 04:28 PM
you need to get a spare seal so when you undo the the retainer you can just swap it over, but don't through the old one away. if you leave it to air dry it will naturally expell all the fuel vapour it has sucked up and shrink back down to the correct size. so you have one to swap out for next time.

this is what i do.

Colin Wiltshire
19-09-2014, 06:03 PM
you need to get a spare seal so when you undo the the retainer you can just swap it over, but don't through the old one away. if you leave it to air dry it will naturally expell all the fuel vapour it has sucked up and shrink back down to the correct size. so you have one to swap out for next time.

this is what i do.

I don't think you understand me, I think the seal you are talking about is the large ring that seals the whole pump assembly. I'm talking about actually in the tank, the small prob 3mm ring that sits behind the pump itself. It's the bit that comes off when you undo the screw holding the pump bracket.

The brownish coloured plastic bit, is the part I'm talking about, this comes off when changing pump, it's the o ring at the top of this.

Davezj
19-09-2014, 07:27 PM
It's an easy fix, but don't really want to take the pump assembly out again. That bloody ring that locks the assembly in, is a pain to get back in.

i was responding to this part of you post. i presumed it was the sealing ring for the big not that holds the assembly into the tank that you were having problems with, as i know this seal can be a pain.
if it was just the nut bit that you were having trouble with, i found using something like a very blunt chisel or a bit of 1" flat bar and a hammer to tap the nut round to tighten and undo it.

i was not talking about the actual sael inside the tank that need replacing, that is the actual issue. but having a spare tank seal will make the actual job that you have to do easyier.

Colin Wiltshire
19-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Ah, I got ya. It's just getting that plastic ring back on, to start biting is the trouble I have, keep cross threading it, as have trouble turning it flat, keeps catching one side and the other comes back up.