PDA

View Full Version : New Galant VR4 owner help.

MacktheMan
23-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Hi all, as well as saying hello, i thought I might post a few questions Ive been having. I just brought a one owner manual Galant Vr4 for next to nothing, but it is due to have its timing/cambelt done. I am on my way to becoming a full member and with that, having the ability to access resources, but I was just wondering if someone could provide a list of tools needed for a cambelt change on a Vr4? Anything special that a home garage wouldnt have? Hope Im not repeating a thread. Cheers.

Nick Mann Services
23-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Hello.

If you have a torque wrench then you should be able to do it at home. There is a good procedure in the members area written up by a member who has done a few belt changes. :D

Bender
24-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Welcome to ClubVR4

harper2704
27-09-2014, 09:39 PM
It's a long old job to change it, but yes a decent socket and spanner set, torque wrench, Jack and axle stands etc and you should be able to give it a crack.

It's not a hard job just quite a lot of stuff to remove and refit, and if you are replacing the water pump as well, which I would advise along with all the pulleys and tensioner etc, then you have to completely remove the engine mount, and to remove that you have to remove the power steering and air con pumps (don't disconnect the pipes just unbolt them from the mounting).

I found it a nice enough job to do as I'm a mechanic and so have air tools and a hoist. I also strongly recommend replacing the cam and crank seals

TAR
28-09-2014, 06:22 PM
I've never know the cam seals to fail. The crankshaft seal does occasionally need to be replaced but only if its showing signs of weeping.

If you have something to lock the camshafts you will find it much easier as the rear bank is under temsion when its in the right place and is a bugger to keep still. Its a common error to end up a tooth out on the rear... very frustrating.

:happy:

harper2704
29-09-2014, 12:34 AM
My crank seal was leaking.

What I did was feed the belt onto one cam at a time and then zip tie it in place so no matter what the pulleys did the belt always remained in the correct position, doing it that way mine lined up perfectly first time.

The only snag with doing it at home without air tools is removing the crank pulley bolt. I have a very powerful half inch air gun and it took forever for the bolt to finally let go and undo. I wouldn't have stood a chance without it.

97legnum
01-10-2014, 06:35 AM
The only snag with doing it at home without air tools is removing the crank pulley bolt. I have a very powerful half inch air gun and it took forever for the bolt to finally let go and undo. I wouldn't have stood a chance without it.

I'm not sure that it would work with the VR4 and I haven't done my cambelt yet, but.. When I've done cambelts on the early EVOs and VR4s to undo the crank nut I always put a spanner on it and jammed it against the axle, I disconnected the coils so the engine couldn't fire and just gave the key a little flick to crack it.

Nick Mann
01-10-2014, 07:46 AM
I use a breaker bar against the floor, but same method.

MacktheMan
10-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Hi Fellas, Thanks for the input. I had the cambelt done at a shop in Auckland. I would only have saved around $100 if I had done it myself, so i saved myself the time and popped the car into the shop. They did a fantastic Job and at a real reasonable price ($650), with a gates belt. So im happy : ) Next up is a bit or panel and paint.......