PDA

View Full Version : Two questions, wheels and alternator

97legnum
25-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Hi everybody,

Got a couple of questions.

I need an alternator. The fellow who I'm purchasing a spare auto trans from might have one, however I don't want to take mine out till I have a replacement. Is there a part # I should look for, it's a pre facelift.

Also wheels. I'm looking for a set of wheels for the vr4, some GTR r32 wheels caught my eye and I wondered if they would fit. They look mean in my head, has anyone ever tried to fit some? I know the stud pcd is right but I was wondering about the offset etc.

Thanks for any help,
Justin

Bender
25-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Contact Gly, He has an alternator for sale.

As for the rims, They should fit without any problems, They are 16x8 30p offset, But for the money you pay for them, Why won't you have a look for a set of Enkei EVO rims? They are 17x8 with 38p offset and they look great on both Galants and Legnums

Gly
25-09-2014, 10:29 AM
im pretty sure the bore on the mags is smaller on nissans. so wont fit the vr4 with being machined larger

and i have a prefacelift alternator for sale

97legnum
25-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Gly, how much do you want for the alternator? I'm going to be up your way on saturday (in my wife's honda [dam you broken vr4]). Maybe I could pick it up saturday? Bender, what version EVO wheels are you talking about? EVO VII? Around how much can they be picked up for with tires? (ideally as they add a lot to the cost).

Bender
25-09-2014, 11:20 AM
I think Gly is right about the Nissan rims being smaller.

Evo 7, Evo 8 or Evo 9 what most people have but always use evo rims from evo 4 to evo 6. They can price any where from $500 plus with or without tyres

Bender
25-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Set of EVO 7 rims, Only thing that they are down in the Hawke's Bay

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/mitsubishi/other/auction-785050371.htm

Gly
25-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Gly, how much do you want for the alternator? I'm going to be up your way on saturday (in my wife's honda [dam you broken vr4]). Maybe I could pick it up saturday? Bender, what version EVO wheels are you talking about? EVO VII? Around how much can they be picked up for with tires? (ideally as they add a lot to the cost).

$80, im manurewa based, PM me if keen ( 97legnum )

97legnum
26-09-2014, 06:42 AM
Gly, check your inbox. Thanks for the link Bender, I might think about those.

97legnum
28-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Alright, I have to ask for a little more help from you guys. I couldn't have fitted the alternator I got off Gly today anyway due to the weather, BUT.. How the heck do you change these things. I'm guessing I will have to remove the rear turbo, manifold, turbo pipes etc and try to wiggle it past the firewall. Or can it be changed from underneath the car? I was planning on joining the club this week, and I understand there is a tutorial on alternators however I'm broke now as Gly had some cool parts for sale/lol .If anyone can give me a hint on how to change that alternator it would be much appreciated.

And while I'm at it I will share some (rather poor I know) photos of my new grill and eyelids. Please excuse the bonnet edge and bumper paint. I'm waiting for the summer to respray the whole car. Also excuse the cut bumper, I'm planning a big front mount soon to fit in there, cap the ends and finish it nicely. I'm always on the lookout for a good original bumper too, just to have as a spare;)

Gly
28-09-2014, 08:23 AM
can be done from the wheel well, you need to remove the cross member and engine mount to tilt the motor and you can drop it out the bottom apperently

97legnum
30-09-2014, 05:44 AM
Cheers Gly, hopefully it won't be too difficult.

Set of EVO 7 rims, Only thing that they are down in the Hawke's Bay

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-785050371.htm

I'm very tempted to buy those. A quick question, will my standard wheel nuts fit? the ones with the captive washer.

Bender
30-09-2014, 06:16 AM
Yes your standard wheel nuts will work... You should have the shank wheel nuts

I did see someone, somewhere on Facebook selling a set of EVO 9 rims and tyres for $600ish in Auckland, Will see if I can find it again

Bender
30-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Found them

5x114.3 enkeis came factory with my evo 9 have rims on evo now so time to sell 600 cash mint tread all round 235/45/r17s no muckarounds

97legnum
30-09-2014, 07:46 AM
was that on hustle live? I wonder if he will come down to $550 which is really my max because I'm betting on about $100 in fuel to go and pick them up.

Bender
30-09-2014, 08:02 AM
Na it was the mitsi cars,parts,buy, sell n swap page, Have ask for contact number

I have set of evo 9 rims for my VR4 and they sure do look good on our Legnum's

orionn2o
30-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Alright, I have to ask for a little more help from you guys. I couldn't have fitted the alternator I got off Gly today anyway due to the weather, BUT.. How the heck do you change these things. I'm guessing I will have to remove the rear turbo, manifold, turbo pipes etc and try to wiggle it past the firewall. Or can it be changed from underneath the car? I was planning on joining the club this week, and I understand there is a tutorial on alternators however I'm broke now as Gly had some cool parts for sale/lol .If anyone can give me a hint on how to change that alternator it would be much appreciated.

And while I'm at it I will share some (rather poor I know) photos of my new grill and eyelids. Please excuse the bonnet edge and bumper paint. I'm waiting for the summer to respray the whole car. Also excuse the cut bumper, I'm planning a big front mount soon to fit in there, cap the ends and finish it nicely. I'm always on the lookout for a good original bumper too, just to have as a spare;)

It's not particularly hard. I wrote the guide but since i'm not a full member anymore i can't access it.

For 30 dollars or whatever it is to join I would suspect its worth getting a copy printed out as it'll save you a fair bit of time.

As Gly says, you can do it from underneath, you just need to get the arch liner off, loosen the belt, move the engine about a bit and wiggle it through!