PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: JIMBO IN WORKING VR4! SHOCK! HORROR!

Jimbo
19-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Yes, it's true, I have a fully functional VR4 once again.

Went down to Dudley yesterday afternoon and got picked up from the train station in my own car.....oh, how seductive was that seeing the beast theading it's way through traffic coming towards me, waiting outside the train station :smitten:

Having not driven it for 5 weeks and then getting it back, fully working, with no bill, and with it cleaned and valeted too inside and out, it was like picking up a new car....I've done very little since other than drive it (two tanks of petrol and counting)!

Thanks to everyone for all the support, and pms over the past 5 weeks, I am now back in VR4 heaven, roll on Easter.

Dan_G
19-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Glad to hear it....... :2thumbsup

VR4 heaven....... I like it .. heh heh /yes

Spirit
19-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Great news mate, hope all goes well for you from now on....you deserve a bit of good luck /yes

HJM
19-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Hurray - that is just the best news :2thumbsup

As you say - bring on the Ring /yes

Simon
19-02-2005, 11:39 PM
At last!...relieved i bet!.....did they ever find the problem?????????? :rolleyes4 :huh2:

Trow
20-02-2005, 12:29 AM
good stuff mate!!! I hope I don't have to wait 5 weeks to get mine back after it chewed up and spat out it's gearbox!!!!

Jimbo
20-02-2005, 02:00 AM
I hope I don't have to wait 5 weeks to get mine back after it chewed up and spat out it's gearbox!!!!

Gahh! No, I know what you mean, I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Fingers crossed for you, matey. 1 day away from a VR4 is TOO long, let alone 1 week or 1 month.

Jimbo
20-02-2005, 02:07 AM
did they ever find the problem?????????? :rolleyes4 :huh2:

Ah, yes - forgot to mention the technical bit !

Well, after stripping down the entire box, finding nothing wrong, putting it all back together again, and re-connecting everything back up on the car.....it still didn't work!

So....they cleaned up each and every single one of the contacts, and hey presto......working car.

They also replaced the oil seals as they were weeping slightly, and filled the ATF back up again. One or all of those things got it working IMHO.

Very strange conclusion to what really felt like a catastrophic gearbox failure. No dashboard indicators, very lumpy car-lurching gear shifts into R and D. The mitsy garage were convinced it was the pump.....

It does kind of make me worry a little though....maybe the problem has just "gone away" for now???? Come March 31st, I think I may be extending my warranty or getting a Red Zebra one.

Kieran
20-02-2005, 02:57 AM
Interesting outcome.... When Simon still owed his VR-4, he had a similar fault that turned out to be a dodgy electrical connector to one of the solenoids. There's a thread about it somewhere...

ritch_w
20-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Get the Red Zebra one - at least if mitsi cant fix it quickly they'll just get a new 'box :)

BTW anyone know how much the red zebra is?

Jimbo
20-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Simon, what were the symptoms of yours, were they similar to the ones I experienced?

I've just searched through shed loads of your old posts (I think I know you intimately know, oooerrr!) and not found anything /dunce

Ritch, there's been a lot of discussions about the Red Zebra costs, and I think the conclusions were; anything between £400 and £1000, depending on whether or not the dealer a) knows what they're looking at is a VR4 and not a V6-sport, b) whether the moon is in the 1st quarter and you're standing on one leg.

Sulli
20-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Went through the leaflet with the service manager at Mitsi and the Red Zebra Warranty is about £740 for a year :thumbsdow for the VR4