PDA

View Full Version : Drivers window won't go back up!!

cbcen
02-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Hi everyone,

I've had my Galant VR4 (1998 Jap Import) for a week today, I just went out for lunch and although the drivers window goes down using the switch it will not go back up.

The glass is half way down and it would go all the way down if I wanted it to (the motor operates and sounds fine when the window is going down), when trying to get the glass back up the motor is just clicking, tick tick tick tick. I have tried rocking the glass (it is not stuck solid) whilst pulling the switch and it makes no difference, I've also tried pushing the glass from below at each end whilst operating the switch, no luck. I have tried slamming several times the door whilst operating the switch as well, no joy.

I've re-seated the relay for the electric windows also, all other windows operate fine.

I suspect that the motor has died but need to know how I can get the glass back up so the car is secure, any suggestions on what I can do please?

Thanks,

Chris

cbcen
02-10-2014, 07:02 PM
I think i've found the problem, it was a right pain trying to get the glass out with it being fully wound down but I eventually got there and have inspected the motor.

From what I can see it looks like the part which tells the motor when to stop has failed, there is a cross shaped fitting which sits in the gearbox part of the motor which looks to have been slipping:

I need to get a replacement motor now, is anyone aware if you can still get a new regulator in the UK and if so where might I find one?

cbcen
02-10-2014, 08:02 PM
I've inspected further and the gear that's driven by the motors spiral drive is stripped in places as well. I've managed to get the assembly back in and the car secure with the glass firmly closed.

Quite a painful process but at leasts its sorted until I can get a replacement motor.

elnevio
02-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Colin Wiltshire might have a spare? Drop him a PM /yes

cbcen
03-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Cheers, I only just saw your message but i've got one coming on Saturday delivery, fingers cross it arrives tomorrow.