PDA

View Full Version : HID Problems

Erni902
03-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Hi guys, I bought some HID Angel eye lights off Longbow77 after his VR-4 got stolen and trashed. I believe he said he got them from swinks. The issue I am having is that one of the controllers (not the ballast) has a power pin that has detached itself (was like this when bought) so 1 of the 4 projectors never worked. Me being anal and liking symmetry then removed the fuse from the matching projector on the other side so Ive been driving with just the 2 projectors (not an issue).

Visited martin71 and he gave me some wiring harnesses with this controller integrated and smaller. Went to fit them today and I can connect everything up apart from the connector that goes into to the Angel Eyes themselves. The connector on the angel eyes is a small rectangular 4 pin connector whilst the connector on the harnes is a 2 pin connector. I have searched high and low this morning and can only find harnesses with 2 pin connectors and cannot find replacement controllers anywhere online that have the same connectors as the ones I have.

If anybody knows what Im on about what would you suggest I do at this point? Is it a start from scratch situation or can I somehow do this with what I have or is there somewhere I can buy the harness with a 4 pin connector?

Any help greatly appreciated as I love the angel eyes and cannot live without them but would also like to drive the car at night lol.

n.b. I havent had a chance to take the headlights out yet so I have been doing it whilst still on the car

Davezj
03-10-2014, 01:27 PM
If the new controller only has two wires going to the 4 pin connector, cut it off and splice wires from the original two pin connector.

If the new harness has 4 wires going to it is a bit of a problem.

swinks
03-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Not that simple Dave. :)
Once get back home I'll post more details.

Erni902
03-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Different size shape and gender between the original 4 pin connector and the new 2 pin connector.

The original 4 pin has 4 wires, 1x +V, 1x -V and 2 others I cannot identify yet. (Ive had to down tools to go pick the daughter up lol)

I shall wait out for Tomasz's further details.

swinks
03-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Popular and unversal bi-xenon lenses have 2 built-in "gizzmos":
- angel-eye CCFL (usually 2 silver wires)
- diaphgram solenoid (black and red wire)
So depends on type, model and year of production you will get either 2 cables with 2-pin black connectors or 1 connector 4-pin.
There are also 3 (nowadays maybe more...) different control units. They differ due to control of CCFL rings (built-in or not), or control of diaphgram solenoid (different voltage, control by "+" or ground).
If your control unit is different than that you got from other source then you have very big chance it won't work.
There are control units for sale on eBay been sold separately.
CCFL rings can be powered by separate CCFL inverters and so on.

Erni902
03-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Cheers for the info there Tomasz, I can confirm I have the 4 pin connector with the 2 solenoid wires and 2 silver CCFL wires.

Ive had a quick look on ebay but cannot find the control units that i have. The stickers have also worn off so no model/part # to search with :( I shall crack on with searching for these controllers

swinks
03-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Rikki pictures will help.
Do one of your projector lens and few of both control unit and wiring, maybe I'll find solution.

Erni902
03-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Havent had a chance to get any today but I do have one of the current controller:

Will disconnect everything tomorrow and get some decent pics posted up

martin71
03-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Rikki mate,what it said when i bought them...H4-3 HI/LO HID XENON KIT RELAY 12V 35W WIRING HARNESS CONTROLLER... hope this helps us both as im in the dark aswell lol

martin71
03-10-2014, 10:24 PM
can you take some pics of the new ones we got put them up here as my cam is playing up..???? then maybe Tomasz (SWINKS) can shed some light on this ....

Erni902
03-10-2014, 10:32 PM
This is the NEW harness with the 2 pin connector:

Obviously will be much clearer when I get all pics up tomorrow and you can fully understand the situation and what parts I have.

Thing that is confusing me is that for every search I do the connector in the pic above is referred to as the 'H4 bulb connector'. Now I thought that the larger connector plugged into the ballast and the ballast connects to the bulb?! Meaning that this would then connect to the angel eyes (thats how it works in the current setup).

Anyway as said I will post up comprehensive pics tomorrow of exactly what I have got

Erni902
03-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Looks like I have the below G5 kit maybe? When looking at the installation diagram this looks like the exact cables etc I currently have:

http://www.carpartslights.com/g5-hid-bi-xenon-headlight-projector-lens-kit-h4-h7-9005-p-835.html

In the pic below point 1 is the CURRENT 4 pin connector (rectangular in shape)
Point 2 is the connector 4 pin connector that is connected to the controller (circular water proofed connector)
Between points 1 and 2 is effectively an extra length of cable that re-terminates the circular 4 pin into the rectangular 4 pin connector.

Now with the NEW harness/controller point 2 is basically a single 2 pin connector that looks to connect straight into the angel eyes at point 1 missing out the extra length of cable.

Erni902
04-10-2014, 12:02 AM
martin71

Massive headache arghhhh /wall

After much trawling it looks like the harnesses we have will not work with my current setup. (not sure as to yours but suspect it maybe the same). I will need the actual large controller I believe. Only issue with this being that nowhere seems to sell the controller on its own they just sell the whole kit or just the ballasts. Im not prepared to pay over £200 for the full kit just to utilise the controllers.

Bit more digging around to do but may have to possibly resign myself to only driving the VR-4 in the daylight :(

Someone must sell the controllers on their own!!!

Erni902
04-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Well its taken nearly 12hrs of searching but ive only gone and found some dodgy place in china that sells them:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-35-55W-12V-HID-BI-XENON-WIERE-HARNESS-G1-G3-G4-G5-G8-super/557666076.html

Only issue being do I actually trust it as the description says they are 'Super Good Quality' lol

Blown up pic:

Although incorrectly labelled as the connector that states 'Connects to Projector Bulb' actually connects to the angel eyes. The ballast connects to the bulb itself but this circular leg connects to the angel eyes via a short length that re-terminates the connector into the 4 pin I was on about earlier

mcosworth
04-10-2014, 08:54 AM
I think I've got what you need Erni902 .
I've got 2 sets of controllers, both with different angel eyes connectors.
Both brand new.70017700187002070021
Cheers,
Mac

mcosworth
04-10-2014, 08:56 AM

swinks
04-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Although incorrectly labelled as the connector that states 'Connects to Projector Bulb' actually connects to the angel eyes. The ballast connects to the bulb itself but this circular leg connects to the angel eyes via a short length that re-terminates the connector into the 4 pin I was on about earlier
This is 4-pin connector for CCFL ring and diaphragm solenoid.

From your pictures I can see that you need old type of controller, one of the fist on the market. so that harness from your last dig may be good one because on very beginning they were using round 4-pin connnector for ancilliares (CCFL and solenoid) and control via main relay.

Harness that mcosworth offers is 2nd generation one, they changed main control unit and conectors. The same principle, but no easy swap of main units, they different. Only full harness replacement. And second question, is diaphragm solenoid controlled the same way as 1st generation?
IIRC, this harness may be good for martin71

Erni902
04-10-2014, 09:44 AM
mcosworth Thanks Mac but as Tomasz says they are ever so slightly different without the diaphragm solenoid wires.
swinks As always mate thanks for the info, so now I know I have the 1st gen connector that should be slightly easier to track down stockists. If not then I will take a chance at the $20 ones from china as the relay looks identical to mine (well the whole harness is lol)

I will do more reading up as its quite an interesting subject. Up until yesterday I knew nothing about HID's or CCFL other than the fact they were fitted to my car haha.

If you told me when I was in school that one day I would actually enjoy learning I would not have believed you lol

swinks
04-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Rikki, that harness from Mac has got solenoid wires. 2nd gen hiss CCFL rings were controlled separately.

Erni902
04-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Yes you are correct Tomasz my bad. I rushed the response and meant 'with only' as opposed to 'without' /duh

Dimes
04-10-2014, 01:14 PM
I hope you get 'em working mate all the hard work you're doing.

I'm with you on loving the angel eyes, I'm well happy my car came with some fitted.

And you mentioned the words dodgy and Chinese earlier in the tread, IMO I think a lot of these HID's are just that. And even when they are good quality their simply a pain in the arse.

Post some nice lights on Pics when you've sussed it and got 'em working dude.

Erni902
04-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Cheerz Olie, yeah they really do complete the aggresiveness of the front end IMO.

Yeah they all do seem to be from the same chinese suppliers etc. Once ive sorted them hopefully all will be good again. Spent a fair bit on my daughter for her birthday this month so will probs wait a couple of weeks before ordering some as I need 2, potentially 3, harnesses to get the whole lot working as it should.

Will defo whack some pics up when she is all sorted :)

martin71
05-10-2014, 11:13 AM
HMMMMM! so the harnesses that i bought wont work for me then...???? im confused...Rikki (Erni902),Thomasz(swinks) so would the ones Mac (Mcosworth) has would they work on mine...?????

swinks
05-10-2014, 01:47 PM
HMMMMM! so the harnesses that i bought wont work for me then...???? im confused...Rikki (Erni902),Thomasz(swinks) so would the ones Mac (Mcosworth) has would they work on mine...?????
Martin, IIRC, those offered by Mac are similar to yours, but after such long time I'm not sure. If any chance you can upload some pictures...

martin71
05-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Tomasz the pics Rikki put in post #11 are the ones i got,i bought a job-lot of ten and gave two to Rikki....i was hoping they were the correct ones....

martin71
07-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Hi Tomasz (swinks) not sure if you saw i put the reply on this thread correct,the hid loom wireing pics is what Rikki put on post #11,as they are the ones i have mate...???? what do you think...????

Erni902
21-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Im starting to think these HID's are just not worth the hassle!! Out of 4 units I have only 1 light able to illuminate at any one time, flickering when lit, no high beam at all and one of the angel eyes has given up the ghost!! When they work they are good but Ive not had all 4 units working simultaneously in the 2yrs Ive had them!

£40 for the replacement controllers and looms and an extra £80 for delivery and this may not even solve the problem!

Had enough fiddling around with them, think its time to scrap them and go back to stock!!

mcosworth
21-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Hi Erni902 ,
If you can please bring your headlights to Area52 tomorrow, we can try to resolve the problem out. I'll bring my two sets of harness.
Cheers,
Mac

Erni902
21-11-2014, 11:30 PM
They are fitted to the car mate so they will be there lol. Ive a mix of harnesses at the moment but no difference what so ever. Every single ballast works, every single projector works and the ccfl controller works. They just dont work together at the same time lol.

Will demonstrate and explain more tomorrow mate

Erni902
29-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Just gone to order a replacement harness from the only place in the world that does them and............................................... .............................

.............Discontinued!!!

Davezj
29-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Bugger

Erni902
29-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Yup :(

So the options are;

1) Bodge the harnesses etc that I have and try to make it work
or,
2) Start again from scratch with brand new units

Davezj
30-11-2014, 01:14 PM
I think the phrase you are looking for splicing the loom. As you no bodger when it come to car stuff.
And yes at least try and create a bitsa loom as long as you know the individual parts work it will be possible to get all to work together.
What have you got to loose.
I think the best bit of advice I could give you is, to draw a schematic of what you want to create with all the wire colours noted down. Then do a dummy run on the bench and connect it all up to see if it works. You don't have to make permanent connection just good enough to make it work.
It is much easier to make changes on the bench than it is on the car.

Erni902
30-11-2014, 02:29 PM
yes this is very true Dave, I tend to do a dummy run in my head before doing anything then note everything down then do a rough diagram of everything I need to connect then do a tidied up proper circuit diagram of everything and how it connects etc. Unfortunately I will have to do it on the car as we have had our workshop taken off us at work because apparently we dont need a workshop to build clients and image them and configure routers/switches and make/terminate cables! The dept that have taken it over obviously need the workshop to browse the internet tho! /bat
:unbeleeva

Ive got manufacturer diagrams to help aswell. Hopefully get a chance this week to have a look at it if it doesnt decide to rain

Davezj
30-11-2014, 09:22 PM
i am interested in this HID prjector issue you are having as i have just ordered a bitsa set of projectors and balasts, and wires for a lot less that a full set of 4 projectors, i have balasts and wires already so hopefully it will work for me. i will have the correct angle eye drivers, so that should be the only issue i will have. as i believe any balast car drive any bulb.

Erni902
30-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Basically Dave I have 4 HID Projector units.

- All 4 units work separately
- All 4 Ballasts work on All 4 units separately
- 3 wiring harnesses work on All 4 units separately
- The harness that doesnt work has a known issue with the power pin so thats fine
- When any more than 2 of the units are connected and powered at any one time only 1 unit will work
- Doesnt matter what harness/ballast etc is connected to what unit only 1 will work (have tried a separate harness and same detail)
- Also last week one of the angel eyes died but have swapped harness over from a known working one and it works so Im pretty sure that is an issue with the harness itself.

Quite possibly a polarisation issue (on the car connector side) but wont have a chance to check that until weds/thurs. Hopefully a soldering iron will cure the dead angel eye lol.

Will be interesting to see what you bought and what works when connected up Dave. I too am led to believe that the ballasts are pretty much universal, they all seem to have the same connector and from what I can gather its a 2 pin connector with +12v and Gnd.

Some kits also state that you need to swap the existing headlight fuses with 30amp fuses. Although I have never blown any fuses with these lights I will be trying this at least once lol.

Davezj
30-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Basically Dave I have 4 HID Projector units.

- All 4 units work separately
- All 4 Ballasts work on All 4 units separately
- 3 wiring harnesses work on All 4 units separately
- The harness that doesnt work has a known issue with the power pin so thats fine
- When any more than 2 of the units are connected and powered at any one time only 1 unit will work
- Doesnt matter what harness/ballast etc is connected to what unit only 1 will work (have tried a separate harness and same detail)
- Also last week one of the angel eyes died but have swapped harness over from a known working one and it works so Im pretty sure that is an issue with the harness itself.

Quite possibly a polarisation issue (on the car connector side) but wont have a chance to check that until weds/thurs. Hopefully a soldering iron will cure the dead angel eye lol.

Will be interesting to see what you bought and what works when connected up Dave. I too am led to believe that the ballasts are pretty much universal, they all seem to have the same connector and from what I can gather its a 2 pin connector with +12v and Gnd.

Some kits also state that you need to swap the existing headlight fuses with 30amp fuses. Although I have never blown any fuses with these lights I will be trying this at least once lol.

it does sound like a power gnd swap in one of the headight power feeds, have you tried setting up an indipendant power and gnd from the battery connected to all the balasts and ccd controlers so you know the power and gnd's are connected correctly to see if the lights all work, it might be the best initial solution.

Erni902
30-11-2014, 10:48 PM
it does sound like a power gnd swap in one of the headight power feeds, have you tried setting up an indipendant power and gnd from the battery connected to all the balasts and ccd controlers so you know the power and gnd's are connected correctly to see if the lights all work, it might be the best initial solution.

I havent as yet tried that mate. The weird thing is that when they were on the purple VR-4 only 3 would work (due to harness issue but that was known) then all of a sudden 1 by 1 they started to fail, apart from 1. So the polarisation on the purple VR-4 was no issue as the 3 were working for about 3 months without issue. When I was down to just the one bulb I swapped them over to the silver VR-4 and the fault followed (the exact same bulb was the only one working).

Will have a play when I get back on Weds and change polarisaton etc etc

Erni902
06-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Finally I can drive her again, the only chance I get these days is when its dark so lights play a big part.

After using a mixture of the original harnesses and the harnesses I got from martin71 I now have the 2 outer projectors working on dipped beam and the 2 inner projectors working on high beam.

I had to strip back alot of the wires and start from scratch with new connectors etc. but alas the hard work has paid of (for now).

Just need to come up with some drawings/ideas of what I need to have all 4 on dipped and high beam but for now due to the massive brightness I am relatively happy and am in no rush. So for the time being this will suffice.

Erni902
07-12-2014, 03:31 PM
Here you go Olie Dimes here are some pics for you:

Davezj
07-12-2014, 03:46 PM
looking good Rikki, have you got your factory boost solenoid sorted.

Erni902
07-12-2014, 03:51 PM
looking good Rikki, have you got your factory boost solenoid sorted.

Cheers Dave.

Yeah sorted the boost solenoid the day after Area 52. I took the stock one off the purple VR-4 as that has an EBC so its bypassed. The Silver Sieve is now producing 9psi on the relatively stock map and 15psi on the 'Race Mode' map /rally

Davezj
07-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Cheers Dave.

Yeah sorted the boost solenoid the day after Area 52. I took the stock one off the purple VR-4 as that has an EBC so its bypassed. The Silver Sieve is now producing 9psi on the relatively stock map and 15psi on the 'Race Mode' map /rally

nice, sounds very nice way to set it up.

Dimes
07-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Very nice Buddy. She's looking good today

Erni902
07-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Cheers Olie, had her washed and waxed yesterday. Was going to get some pics then but got called into work. Glad the weather held out for me to get some decent shots today

Dimes
07-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Cheers Olie, had her washed and waxed yesterday. Was going to get some pics then but got called into work. Glad the weather held out for me to get some decent shots today

Does that mean there's another re draft of the calender coming ?

Erni902
07-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Haha the Pruple VR-4 may be relegated from it lol

HPRULZ
11-12-2014, 11:25 PM
That looks very cool now you have got them working, great job. /Banana

Kev

Erni902
14-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Cheers Kev glad you like :)