PDA

View Full Version : Massive oil loss cracked radiator

Tru BLUE
06-10-2014, 06:00 PM
I drove my 1990 gsx over 2k since i got it in june and its been driving strong until a couple days ago.... im driving all off a sudden a loss in throttle response so i shifted to neutral and cut the car off coasted to the shoulder. Popped the hood n saw oil all over my air filter trans and everything else on that side (no clear origin). No oil On the front of the motor or anywhere else just the trans side also i seen a large split on the top of the radiator..... im thinking overheatin then blown gasket and the oil sprayed from the blown gasket on that side??? Any input?

Ghost_2008
06-10-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm sure you would seen a rise in engine temp before your gasket died.... If your rad's old a crack isn't uncommon.....

Have you checked the oil level since the incident? If so how much was lost, a little can make a big mess.....

Davezj
06-10-2014, 11:29 PM
is your can an auto by any chance. if so it could be auto box fluid the pipe for the auto box are on the air filter side, the split rad hose could be conincidence.
just check bot engine and auto box oil level if you have an ayto that is.

this is just another option to check.

Tru BLUE
06-10-2014, 11:56 PM
No on the oil chec
yes it ran hot but the car never made a running hot warning sound.
N it is a 5 speed

Davezj
07-10-2014, 12:25 AM
maybe it is justcoolant sprayed everywhere it just looks like oil as it is old dirty coolant.
you would see a drop in oil level if it was spraying out of the coolant system.

replace rad hose and top up coolant and see what happens. it is the cheapest thing to do and this will probably be the only issue you have.

Tru BLUE
07-10-2014, 01:26 AM
I wiped it with my finger rubbed it between my fingers and sniffed Im 100% sure it is oil.

Tru BLUE
07-10-2014, 04:07 AM
Is it possible the oil squirted from a failed head gasket? Or is that not plausible?

Nick Mann
07-10-2014, 09:36 AM
It's plausible. If you can't see damage or the source of the oil then clean it all up, turn the engine by hand, then check and top up fluids and try starting it.