PDA

View Full Version : What gearbox for my car!?

Tigerpoeton
06-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Hi Guys!,
I hope you dont me joining and posting as I dont actually have a vr-4 just a 2.5 v6 galant but the other Galant forums I have found are a little scarce of users!
I have the 2.5 with a manual conversion and have some issues with the gearbox so will just be changing it, Its a F5M42 (Then some other numbers), Can it be changed with any box starting F5M42? I am just guessing after that code its numbers relative to that box like a vin number?

Many thanks in advance (BTW I would like a vr4 but im too poor lol)

Thanks again from British Gibraltar :-D

Confused
07-10-2014, 08:51 AM
What issues are you having with the gearbox?

A common issue with the F5M42 is that the input shaft bearing fails, which gives a grinding noise under acceleration or engine braking, but the noise disappears when depressing the clutch.

This is a ~£30 part, but does require the gearbox out, and split open to replace.

There is no guarantee that another replacement gearbox won't also experience the same issue soon after you install it.

Also - what oil was put into the gearbox when it was fitted?

Nick Mann
07-10-2014, 09:32 AM
I don't know much about the f5m42 but with other mitsubishi gearboxes, there are different applications for the same box. The evo 5 speed manual box has the same code as the vr4 manual box but the bell housing is different. I'd be inclined to have a good read through Garrys post above and give us a bit more info first.

Tigerpoeton
07-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Basically it wont go into 5th and reverse goes in but pops out under any sort of load, The other gears work perfectly, I have checked the linkage and all seems to be ok, I used the correct oil and did a change but still the same, When I opened the hatch half a big o ring came out so im guessing something nasty has happened in there so I think a swap is for the best but need to make sure im getting the right thing, The replacement I found is from a 2.0 galant so should work ok no?

Thanks guys!

Nick Mann
08-10-2014, 08:13 AM
At some point the drive shaft splines at the gearbox end changed. I don't know when or how. But if you are trying to make it fit then I would get the drive shafts too. The bell housing is likely to be a bit different too so might need modification or swapping. It might also be worth checking out the gear ratios as the 2.0 ratios might be shorter.