PDA

View Full Version : New to Galant, previous Glanza V enthusiast -) Need some help please!

Paul_JJ
16-10-2014, 04:02 AM
Hi everyone.

I'm Paul and I've recently bought a Galant 2L, 1999 - which is a good and cheap family car in my opinion -) I've been a car enthusiast on a TGGT forum (same nick) for quite some time now and know quite a lot about Turbo Starlets, so Mitsubishi is totally new to me, I've managed however to do an oil change on my own -)

My first question - is where do you buy the service parts as my local Mitsubishi dealers are not keen to reply to my emails... even though the acknowledge that they actually receive them... With Toyota it was a lot easier.

What oil/ auto gearbox oil do you recommend to use?
Is aftermarket cheap oil filters/ disk brakes any good???
Does the rear brake discs have the wheel bearing integrated to the discs or is it separate?
I plan to put red Toyota antifreeze as it's considered one of the best on the markets, do you think it's a good idea?
How do you fight RUST and what are the most common places to rust on these cars?

And the last but not least -)

The previous owner deactivated standard remote central locking - I want to activate it now... It's a standard Cobra 7777 alarm. I found some info that I have to bridge the 1st and 4th pin, but I can't find the actual pins under the steering wheel.... Any help would be appreciated...

Thank you.

Paul

Bender
16-10-2014, 05:11 AM
Welcome to ClubVR4

Davezj
16-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Hi and welcome to the club

So many question, all have asked before and can be found with the search bar.

But I will be back when I have a little ore time to fill in some of the blanks

You will like it hear and it will be interesting to hear you views on the little pocket rocket that is the glanza.

Nick Mann
16-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Service parts come from everywhere, but yoir dealer will be the best place for seals and gaskets.
Auto fluid must be sp3 compatible. I personally believe that Amsoil ATF is the best fluid out there but there are other options too. I use Amsoil for all the oils on my car simply due to my experience with their ATF.
Cheap parts tend to be cheap for a reason imo. I've done it in the past when I have been strapped for cash but I am a believer in quality is not normally cheap.
Discs and hubs are separate, but the handbrake is shoe operated in a drum which is part of the rear disc.
Red antifreeze is incompatible with the oem spec on our cars. Stick with blue or green unless you do a full and intensive flush.
Rust is most common on the rear arches and front strut tops. How to fight it varies with opinion.

Please have a search round the site, there is a lot of info here that will help you form your own opinion. :-)

elnevio
16-10-2014, 11:16 AM
/Welcome

Echo what Nick says :iagree:

The pin 1 to 4 thing is to access the error codes, and nothing to do with the alarm.

What happens when you press the big button (I assume you have the 'alien' key fob)?

Paul_JJ
16-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Nothing happens when I press any buttons on the remote fob, the led lights up that's all... I have a separate key fob which I was told has to be only used in case the alarm has to be stopped.

Can anyone recommend a decent Mitsubishi dealers who is able to post? I've contacted my nearest ones and they have no interest in getting back to me...
The rust I have is around the engine area, the oil sump started to rust!!!!!! I've never had any problems with rust on a Glanza, they just don't rust, even 20 year old ones...

I meant the complete flush of the radiator indeed, I don't want to mix fluids -)

My Glanza only had 177 bhp, which is for 900 Kg is pretty quick -) 16 sec - 110 mph in 3rd gear....

Here is what I found online, but I'm unable to locate the actual data port...

Instructions
Open the car's data port located under the dashboard on the driver's side.

Insert the key into the ignition.

Connect data port one and four with a jumper wire. Data port one is the
port in the top-left corner. Data port four is the fourth port on the
top row. Ensure you connect the right ports.

Press the car's "Hazard" button six times within 10 seconds of
connecting the data ports with a jumper wire. The car doors should lock
and then unlock.

Press the "Lock" button on the remote within 10 seconds. The car locks
will cycle again indicating success.

Remove the jumper wire and take the key out of the ignition.

Read more :
http://www.ehow.com/how_7303296_program-key-mitsubishi-galant.html

Paul_JJ
18-10-2014, 03:44 AM
Oh it looks like the website is heavily moderated as my last post was deleted.....

When I press the button - nothing happens, just red led lights up on the actual fob.

A Glanza V is a real rocket, with some people forging engines and putting massive turbo on them - they even take on ferrary's -))))))) In fact 1 guy made 560 Bhp and he had a dyno print of that, the car had a wheel spin even in 5th gear.......

Subaru ETA
18-10-2014, 06:48 AM
Nothing happens when I press any buttons on the remote fob, the led lights up that's all... I have a separate key fob which I was told has to be only used in case the alarm has to be stopped.

Can anyone recommend a decent Mitsubishi dealers who is able to post? I've contacted my nearest ones and they have no interest in getting back to me...
The rust I have is around the engine area, the oil sump started to rust!!!!!! I've never had any problems with rust on a Glanza, they just don't rust, even 20 year old ones...

I meant the complete flush of the radiator indeed, I don't want to mix fluids -)

My Glanza only had 177 bhp, which is for 900 Kg is pretty quick -) 16 sec - 110 mph in 3rd gear....

Here is what I found online, but I'm unable to locate the actual data port...

Instructions
Open the car's data port located under the dashboard on the driver's side.

Insert the key into the ignition.

Connect data port one and four with a jumper wire. Data port one is the
port in the top-left corner. Data port four is the fourth port on the
top row. Ensure you connect the right ports.

Press the car's "Hazard" button six times within 10 seconds of
connecting the data ports with a jumper wire. The car doors should lock
and then unlock.

Press the "Lock" button on the remote within 10 seconds. The car locks
will cycle again indicating success.

Remove the jumper wire and take the key out of the ignition.

Read more :
http://www.ehow.com/how_7303296_program-key-mitsubishi-galant.html

Step 5 should be "press lock button 3 times".
I programmed a new key last week using this method.

elnevio
18-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Step 5 should be "press lock button 3 times".
I programmed a new key last week using this method.

Isn't this only for the stock Mitsi key though? The alarm system in question here is the stock Cobra alarm that was fitted to the UKDM cars.

Do you have the little stick and/or do you have the alarm's PIN code in the documentation somewhere?

Subaru ETA
18-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Ahh right. Teach me for only reading half the op

horndog
18-10-2014, 06:20 PM
There was a copy of the 'mitsubishi elite' alarm manual in the members section which I followed to resync my fob.

Cant link as I'm not a paid up member anymore....

Try a search on key fob sync or similar I had the same problem and found a couple of threads

Paul_JJ
19-10-2014, 01:44 AM
I found a complete manual for Galant on another forum for free -)

Here is how to activate a cobra one and it WORKS

1: With the system disarmed switch ON the ignition
2: Insert a touch key into the touch key receptacle, the dashboard LED
will permanently illuminate
3: Press both radio key buttons together until the radio key LED stops
flashing and goes out (approx 10s)
4: Release the buttons and the radio key LED comes ON
5: Press one radio key button, the radio key LED blinks and the
dashboard LED goes OUT for 1 second
6: Repeat steps 3-5 for all other legitimate radio keys. When all keys
are taught switch off the ignition (the dashboard LED will go OUT)

Davezj
19-10-2014, 01:48 AM
i believe i uploaded the full cobra allarm manual to the library some time ago along with an installation certificate.

it should still be there.