PDA

View Full Version : Possible MAF problem

Badger_01
05-11-2014, 06:18 AM
So I finally put in my Walbro fuel pump a couple of days ago and everything seemed fine. Car started up fine, idled fine, cruising at 50km in 4th gear is fine, WOT is fine. Cool.

Now gentle throttle to go a couple of kms faster and usually between 2800-3200rpm the car hesitates/stutters.

One of my work mates suggested that it could be the maf as he had a similar problem in a toyota levin, he replaced the maf in the levin and it was all good.

So after work I disconnected the maf and drove home. It idled like a sack of crap but it didnt hesitate/stutter like it did before.

So is my maf buggered or what?

Nick Mann
05-11-2014, 07:40 AM
Could be. I had similar recently and your symptoms could be the same based on your description.

Badger_01
06-11-2014, 10:43 AM
So I put my other fuel pump back in and the car is running fine. No hesitation like before. So Im stumped.

That makes me think its the walbro but it was fine besides the hesitation on light throttle and in that rev range

Z-Kev
06-11-2014, 01:35 PM
I had same symptoms on my maf

swinks
06-11-2014, 04:15 PM
So I put my other fuel pump back in and the car is running fine. No hesitation like before. So Im stumped.

That makes me think its the walbro but it was fine besides the hesitation on light throttle and in that rev range
Well, have you got adjustable fpr fitted? If not, that may be your problem. Characteristics of uprated fuel pumps are different to stock one. Stock fpr may not cope with Walbro fuel pump, because this require progressive 1:1 fpr. IIRC, stock fpr are different.

Badger_01
06-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Well, have you got adjustable fpr fitted? If not, that may be your problem. Characteristics of uprated fuel pumps are different to stock one. Stock fpr may not cope with Walbro fuel pump, because this require progressive 1:1 fpr. IIRC, stock fpr are different.

I was thinking that it could be the stock fpr. I'll buy a 1:1 fpr next week and I'll see what happens

John TheAntique
06-11-2014, 07:33 PM
This might be a stupid question but if it runs well on your old fuel pump why change it. There seems to be a propensity in this club to uprate fuel pumps for no apparent reason apart from everyone seems to do it.

d3ck5
06-11-2014, 10:01 PM
This might be a stupid question but if it runs well on your old fuel pump why change it. There seems to be a propensity in this club to uprate fuel pumps for no apparent reason apart from everyone seems to do it.

preparation for more fasts most likely.

Badger_01
06-11-2014, 10:52 PM
preparation for more fasts most likely.

On the money right there.

Oh and the pump that was in the car is a Denso 195130-2330 which turns out to be a pump for an Eclipse. Hmmm.

Bender
07-11-2014, 10:51 PM
the pump that was in the car is a Denso 195130-2330 which turns out to be a pump for an Eclipse. Hmmm.

This isn't the same fuel pump as you got?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/fuel-systems/auction-803096442.htm

Might needing a new fuel pump for mine.

Badger_01
07-11-2014, 11:11 PM
This isn't the same fuel pump as you got?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/fuel-systems/auction-803096442.htm

Might needing a new fuel pump for mine.

Yeah I got the Walbro but the pump that was already in the car is a Denso one for an ecilpse lol.