PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump, Turbo or Something else wrong

Bender
08-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Since I got my VR4 back together and driving again, Straight away, Got a high pitch noise on boost, Was louder on high boost with boost hitting 14/16psi plus,

So was thinking must be a leak somewhere, Replace some of the pipes I make to replace the sort pipe back to old ones and no better, So was still driving it, Waiting for the weekend so I could pull everything apart again, that I had touch but going home on Tuesday, The car started to have no power at all, Like it was cutting out, Done it mostly when I wanted to put my foot down abit and once while sitting at 90kms, Was thinking a air leak, Now thinking could it be starving for fuel?

I got home and didn't drive it again, Had move it around few times, When I had the car running the other night, Notices their was black smoke coming out of the exhaust, The car was running really rich, It was running normally as good as she was had, So turn it off and left it to the weekend.

Saturday morning comes around and I had pull everything off I had touch or replace looking for this air leak, Everything was put on right and done up tight, Was going to start the car up and take down the road to see what she would do.

Come to started the car, She started after taking a while to firing up, when it finally did, It was running like crap, Give it few revs, Started to idle normally then it die right away, Would firing up but shutting off straight away, Now it will only firing up and won't idle.

I'm thinking it something to do with the fuel pump, Someone else think it the turbo/turbos,

Try the spare MAF I have and try both plug and unplug and still the same.

Reason why we had off the road cause it was blowing radiator hoses cause by the thermostat jam shut cause by block in the heater hoses(making the water go blown), When it blew second hose after being driving for few hours, Radiator was stone cold when we pull over but engine was hot(like normal) but temp gauge in the car never show any overheating, Didn't move from where it normally sits. So could be some other damage done that we haven't found?

Bender
09-11-2014, 06:01 AM
Anyone got any idea's or any helpful info?

Subaru ETA
09-11-2014, 07:18 AM
It the rubber seal on the throttle body ok?

Bender
09-11-2014, 07:33 AM
It the rubber seal on the throttle body ok?

I haven't got the rubber seal or the pipping for the throttle body as I give it away and the piping I make with silicone hose going from throttle body to pipe has been on the for last 6 or so months with out a issue, I wouldn't thought it would start being a problem now

Badger_01
09-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Could be the fuel pump. It sounds fuel related

Subaru ETA
09-11-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm still thinking air leak. The high pitch noise, the running rich. If it was fuel pump related it wouldn't be running rich coz it wouldn't be getting fuel!
Could also be head gasket. Does it smell like fuel, or a sweet smell out the exhaust?
I'm not saying it isn't the fuel pump, but I would be 110% confirming for no leaks before doing the pump

Bender
09-11-2014, 08:47 AM
I do know that the high pitch noise is a leak but it just trying to find it, It does sound like it coming from around the rear turbo/throttle body area. I was thinking it could be fuel pump due to the car firing up and shutting off straight away

The car has always run rich, Run more rich when using BP 98 has I've have been lately. I would say it smell like fuel, It was blowing black smoke the other night that I was thinking could of been unburnt fuel.

Could a blew head gasket stop the car from idling/running? I'm hoping it not a blew head gasket as it last thing I want to do on this bloody car

Subaru ETA
09-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Yes it can. Water doesn't ignite very well, so if it is in the cylinder, it can stop the car from starting. This however would usually mean white smoke out the exhaust.
If the battery has been dead the car may need to relearn its idle, which won't help its cause either.
Try spraying something like brake clean around all the hoses, gaskets, throttle body etc (don't get it on hot exhaust!) and see if it picks the idle up momentarily. This is the quickest was of finding a leak

Bender
09-11-2014, 09:08 AM
The car had done 100kms or so before this problem and never saw any white smoke coming out of the exhaust, The car had been running normally but from the air leak.

The battery did go flat and it was recharge

I will do that once we get the running again

Thanks for your help.

Nick Mann
09-11-2014, 09:22 AM
I would concur. Black smoke and a whistle usually means an air leak.

Bender
10-11-2014, 05:19 AM
A video of trying to start the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L72zANHbUes&feature=youtu.be

Badger_01
10-11-2014, 05:45 AM
Wonder if it could be the IFS sensor thing? The one on the front cam/rocker cover.

Bender
10-11-2014, 06:07 AM
Wonder if it could be the IFS sensor thing? The one on the front cam/rocker cover.

Haha funny thing I was on OZvr4 facebook page and someone else has not starting vr4 and someone said that so I went out and took it off and refitted it and the car just about started, So it could be that, Will get the one off the vr4 at pick a part to test.

Bender
11-11-2014, 05:51 AM
So got other IFS sensor and still won't go... Did find that I had 2 vacuum hoses going to wrong places...

Now I'm starting to get bit piss off with the car.... Think it time for it go to a mechanic.

SEAN-NZ
11-11-2014, 06:07 AM
Need a fresh set of eyes? To have a look over engine bay?

Bender
11-11-2014, 06:51 AM
Yeah seem like I do, I don't know if it something I have done or put back wrong

Just weird that one day it was running normally and was able to move it around, next day it wouldn't start

SEAN-NZ
11-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Yes that is odd, hopefully something not obvious has just disconnected itself, does it start with maf unplugged?

Bender
12-11-2014, 06:17 AM
Nope it won't start with the maf unplugged... I can't see if anything has come disconnected. Myself I'm still thinking it a fuel pump problem

Bender
13-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Ok, We have find the problems

And it was cause of having no fuel as the fuel pressure sender is giving a false reading, Once it got down to a point, It shoot up to higher reading, Going by the gauge one line before being on E... No fuel light or nothing that come on before it had no fuel...

Looking at the fuel pump and it still the factory one so it getting replace tomorrow with a new one...

We just hoping that we have fix the air leak aswell