PDA

View Full Version : Wiring observation

bigsed
13-11-2014, 12:04 AM
Car manufacturers seem to constantly tinker with their builds throughout the lifespan of a model. I noticed another change today when swapping out the rear cluster on my Galant. The car is an early one (1997) with the solid red rear cluster, which was only used for approx 12-18 months. The "new" cluster I obtained has exactly the same part numbers on it as the one I was removing BUT one of the bulb holders has a different locating lug configuration and the bulb has three wires to it on mine, and only two on the other cluster, despite being from the same year of Galant. Very odd...

crazydriver81
13-11-2014, 04:43 AM
Not really odd. One cluster may be from a UK spec Galant, where the fog light was built into the light cluster. It's the same with Legnum / Galant estate cars. Legnums, as being Jap spec, have brake/driving light function inside the tailgate lights - whereas Galant estate cars have only fog light function inside tailgate light clusters.

swinks
13-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Seconded to Stefan.
You will have following variations of saloon tail lights:
- pfl EU spec (UK)
- pfl and fl JDM spec
- pfl US spec
- fl EU spec
- fl US spec
Misti numbers may be the same for pfl range or fl range regardless of market.

bigsed
13-11-2014, 11:58 AM
I find it odd that they manage ok using the same part code though. It's no wonder dealers want a VIN before selling anything!