PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Aftermarket ATF Cooler

bernmc
21-02-2005, 11:34 AM
I've been reading up a bit on the auto box and power increases, and wondered how many of you were running an aftermarket ATF cooler, and whether any of you who are had had a gearbox failure?

The UK's pretty cold most of the time:sick2: so it might not make as much difference here...?

:EDIT: Oh, and if you have one, tell us which - I've only found a blitz thingy in the UK so far...

Kieran
21-02-2005, 02:26 PM
I voted UK Cooler + no power mods, on the basis that I was going to get a Mocal one fitted to my GLS before I sold it. Stop/Start traffic got the fluid WELL hot.

SGHOM
21-02-2005, 02:35 PM
I've an aftermarket cooler. plus......err...... one or two power mods !! /yes :2thumbsup :drummer:

Roadrunner
21-02-2005, 04:29 PM
I have a Derale cooler fitted - biggest they could fit behind the grille! Running a bit higher boost, but not (quite) as much power as interlec ... :rolleyes4

bernmc
26-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Is there any difference between the ATF coolers and standard oil coolers - ie could you pick up a cheap oil cooler from the bay of fleas and plumb it in?

psbarham
26-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Is there any difference between the ATF coolers and standard oil coolers - ie could you pick up a cheap oil cooler from the bay of fleas and plumb it in?
don't see why not as long as the fittings are the same , also depends on the pressure in the cooler , a helpful mitsi dealer might be able to help you there . mind you it cant be that high as the cooler pipes are secured by jubilee clips

aaron68nz
27-02-2005, 11:31 AM
I had one added by Ohlsen Developments in Auckland which are well known for high performance mods on Mitsubishis and they put one between the back of the the passenger side fog light and the wheel arch. The part was only something like $130NZ. Had a profec boost controler installed at sametime. Just moved to Aussi after installation and car arriving from NZ on the 4th so haven't had much time to see if a noticable difference. I would've thought sticking it behind/amongst the other coolers would be harmful to overall air flow and hence cooling.

bernmc
27-02-2005, 12:57 PM
...The part was only something like $130NZ. .

$130!!! Thats for nothing! Blitz kits here are 300GBP+ - thats $800ish! Do you have any pics of the thing?

aaron68nz
28-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Didn't take any pics and my car arrives on Friday but by the time it goes through customs etc it might be early next week by the time I pick it up. I guess though if the Blitz ones are huge like a car radiator or big enough that would necessitate them being sandwiched in the front of the engine bay then they would be roughly proportionately dearer than something smaller. I'll take pics when the car arrives. The mechanic didn't even suggest putting it in front of the radiator and simply said he'd fit the biggest one that would fit. You can see their website http://www.ohlsendevelopments.co.nz/html/default.html
I do remember reading years and years ago in relation to adding intercoolers that you need to be careful about air being trapped and flow hindered between coolers at the front of the car.

mike
28-02-2005, 01:54 PM
To all those that have gearbox oil coolers, are you running a thermostat system and/or an additional pump? Or just relying on std pump pressure and waiting that bit longer for the oil to heat up?!

Mike.

aaron68nz
01-03-2005, 01:54 AM
I would've thought that the transmission oil would heat up slower in a water cooled cooler due to the high Specific Heat of water and hence why it is used as a coolant. But with thermostat control and fan I guess it's easier to maintain a certain temperature which is ok for the engine but not so good for the transmission. Does anybody know what the minimum optimal temperature is for the auto transmission? And what is the minimum optimal temperature for the engine?. But by optimal are we talking a ceratain balance between efficiency of mechanical operation and heat levels that have a negative effect on longevity of parts? I guess a lot of things are a balance like this, ie you can't have your cake and eat it too!

mike
01-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Aha! But you can have your cake and eat it!

A standard rad/cooler will be designed (by the manufacturer) to keep components, engine or transmission at a optimum temp (after initial heat up) during NORMAL conditions... :thumbsup: Anything you add should work to take excess heat, lets say from 'spirited' driving, when needed to keep that optimum temps...

Which brings me onto my question above... and by thermostat control I didn't mean a fan control thing. I mean't thermostat control exactly like the rad in a normal car, the flow is diverted through the rad only when the fluid is hot and needs cooling.

Turning into a long post....

So... has anyone plumbed in a transmission cooler - with a thermostat to only divert flow through the additional cooler when needed? And if they have what temp thermostat was used?? The other prob you then get is the standard pump capability... :embarasse

I'm guessing not... so this was a pointless post... /help

Mike.

bernmc
01-03-2005, 09:39 PM
So... has anyone plumbed in a transmission cooler - with a thermostat to only divert flow through the additional cooler when needed? And if they have what temp thermostat was used??

I thought about this too, and also suspect not as the comments on this site suggest that the box is a bit grumpy for longer while it warms up.

Kieran
02-03-2005, 12:30 AM
I don't really think you need thermostat control? I would've thought that the best route, especially if the car's modified or subject to a leaden foot would be to route the transmission fluid through the aftermarket cooler first to knock out the majority of the heat, then continue to the factory cooler (which works on a heat exchange principle with the engine coolant matrix). The factory cooler can then do one of two things - either it has a much easier job as the fluid's been 'pre-cooled', or if it's a cold day and the aftermarket cooler is being too efficient, it has a chance to warm the fluid back up a bit before it returns to the autobox - either way, the aftermarket cooler takes the brunt, whilst the factory cooler acts more like a stabiliser?

Just my thoughts! :happy: