PDA

View Full Version : longitude 6a13tt in vr4

VR4_Menace
18-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Hey just a quick question, has anyone ever tried mounting the 6a13tt to be rwd in a vr4??
I just finished reading confused anglia project and it got me thinking. how hard would it be?
so i did a search on google and found someone that did a 2jz swap into a 8g galant. i think this would be something i would be keen to do and a lot more fun, but using the 6a13tt. can anyone think of any pros or cons??

SEAN-NZ
18-11-2014, 09:29 AM
Can't think of the person who did it, but it has been done, blew the diff rather quickly, have a feeling it was an Evo lsd aswell, wouldn't recommend it, unless you can get something significantly stronger

VR4_Menace
18-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Ok cool so it has been done, didn't wanna get half way and find it impossible. Yea would definitely go for something stronger as I would like to do td04 conversion while I'm at it.

Confused
18-11-2014, 10:24 AM
The VR4 engine is as wide as it is long, so the engine itself should fit in the engine bay without any problems. You'll then need to find/fit a suitable gearbox, and do any modifications to the firewall/transmission tunnel necessary to fit the gearbox.

As you'll then be sending all the power through the rear diff, that will need to be replaced. If there's not anything strong enough that'll bolt in place, then you'll need to find an alternative, make the mountings, and amend driveshafts accordingly.

None of these tasks are impossible - and if you can do the work yourself, the costs can remain reasonable - if you need to pay someone else for doing the work, then this is where it could get expensive ;)

Adam.Findlay
18-11-2014, 10:42 AM
I made my legnum RWD but it wasn't by longitudinally mounting the engine my engine was still transverse. I did this by just buying a transfer case of kenneth who had fudged the insides to remove drive to the front wheels.

Anything can be done with enough money but to mount it longitudinally you would need
-different gearbox, which would mean a custom clutch/flywheel/bellhousing assembly
-custom front subframe
-massive firewall and tunnel modification as the stock firewall and subframe is in no way setup to take a longitudinally mounted engine (which is a big issue when it comes to legality and Certification here in NZ)
-custom turbo setup as the intakes of the stock turbos face toward the flywheel and when mounted longitudinally they would be hard up against the firewall, so you would need to move them like Garry (confused) has or go to a single turbo or different twins.
-Custom loom as the stock loom will no longer fit
-custom intercooler piping and intake piping as the throttle body would face the firewall in a longitudnal setup.

Long story short its a complete and utter waste of time and money to make the car handle worse and be a complete nightmare to get road legal.
money better spend on a good pair of front and rear LSD's and a turbo upgrade. then you can smoke all 4 tyres instead of just two.

scott.mohekey
18-11-2014, 10:43 AM
The biggest task will be modifying the front subframe and sway bar to go under the gearbox/engine instead of over the transfer case.

Also, anyone that has made a vr4 rwd before has done so by modifying the transfer case to only send power to the rear wheels.

Adam.Findlay
18-11-2014, 11:12 AM
The biggest task will be modifying the front subframe and sway bar to go under the gearbox/engine instead of over the transfer case.

Also, anyone that has made a vr4 rwd before has done so by modifying the transfer case to only send power to the rear wheels.

your T-rex comic is so painfuly relevent, both to Confused doing it in the anglia and me RWDing it via transfercase mod.

VR4_Menace
18-11-2014, 07:02 PM
I know it would be a lot of custom work, I think it would be a fun project though. And would be one of a kind here in chch I think.
I found this guy that did it with a 2jz http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?47575-Toyota-2JZ-GTE-Engine-on-8G-Galant

As for front cross member I was thinking of using an altezza one with custom mounts as they have very similar suspension setups and only 15mm difference in track and same stud pattern. Would have to use altezza steering column too I guess or modify the legnum one to reach
Rear I'm not sure on but will cross that bridge when it comes.

Why is it so hard to get cert with bigger transmission tunnel? Surely if the welds are up to scratch and looks like it could be standard like that it'll be ok.

Gearbox was thinking of an sr20det box with custom adapter plate.

Just throwing ideas around to see wat would be better.

Turbos I would like to upgrade to td04 and flip them around while I'm at it and use wat confused is using so I can run map sensor. Intake plenum plans are to cut each end off and swap them so would be front facing.

That's as far as I've got with planning so far. :D

scott.mohekey
18-11-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't think I'd take that 2jz job as a good example..

VR4_Menace
18-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Yea? How come?

scott.mohekey
18-11-2014, 08:22 PM
From memory, it's really dodgy how he did it all.

Adam.Findlay
19-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Yeah anyone with a pair of eyes can see that that 2JZ one was nothing short of dangerous.

Its not as easy as just putting an altezza subframe and suspension in. the effort involved in making something else fit you are better off spending the same ammount of effort into making something custom and making the engine/gearbox/subframe all fit nicely.

as for the firewall when a cert guy sees a cut firewall all sorts of alarm bells ring and they are likely to go over the car with a fine tooth comb making the whole process alot longer.

why a SR20 box? SR-DET boxes aren't particularly strong
If you want to make it easy on yourself use a RX7 gearbox with adaptor plate as the input shaft on RX7 boxes is the same size and spline count as VR4's so you can use either the stock VR4 or an EVO flywheel and clutch with the 7 Box.