PDA

View Full Version : Quicker Gearchanges

joetheeskimo
19-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Hi Guys

I am going to install the EVO X flappy paddles into my legnum VR4. I know this wont change the speed of gear changes but is there any way to increase the lag between changing gear and the gearbox changing gear. I didnt know if the tiptronic box can changes gears any quicker.

Thanks

Confused
19-11-2014, 08:26 PM
foxdie was talking a while ago about updating the gearbox ECU, with quicker gear changes being one aim, but it was very much in very early testing stages (well, more specifically, looking for people to test it)

Once you know how the gearbox reacts, I find that it changes gear about as quickly as I'd change gear in a manual - when I would be thinking about moving my foot onto the clutch, I will instead ask the gearbox to shift.

By the time I'd have depressed the clutch, stirred the gear lever and released the clutch again - the autobox has changed - well, unless I was stupendously quick with the manual, which most of the time I'm not.

It's knowing when you need to ask the gearbox to change that's important - and being able to know to tell it to change before it needs to, that's where the box can work well in tiptronic mode.

Louis
19-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Check out OZVR4 site, and search on here for an Australian member who was tuning auto ecu's, there are also rebuild kits with uprated bits

Davezj
19-11-2014, 11:15 PM
why not go for AMG paddle shifts they are probably a let cheaper and very easy to fit.

here is a really cheap pair £60 same as the ones i have. these usually go for about £100
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-AMG-aluminium-performance-paddle-shift-NEW-left-right-/251716525214?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a9b795c9e

cut a bit of rubber out of the back of the steering wheel and drill 1 hole each side and wire them into the clock spring, simples.

WillVR4
25-11-2014, 09:24 PM
EVo X paddle shifts are very easy to fit and can be done all in for way less than £100

http://www.amayama.com/

Part number 2401A004 ~£65 (Though bare in mind may get hit for Import duty etc)