PDA

View Full Version : Climate Control Fault

Erni902
20-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Hey guys,

I have an issue with my climate control. Only noticed today as its the first time Ive actually driven the silver VR4 in the dark.

With car running but sidelights/headlights etc OFF the climate control panel lights up nice and bright.

With car running and sidelights/headlights switched ON the climate control goes dark. Not like dimming slightly but OFF no lights at all and its impossible to read/see it in the dark.

Everything else lights up as it should ie. dials, PRND, cup holder light etc etc. I have checked the dimmer by the steering wheel and its plugged in seated correctly and functions as it should dimming/brightening the dash.

Fuses all seem to be fine with no apparent blown fuses under torchlight.

Next logical check for me would be the unit itself but I just wanted to check f anyone else had experienced this before? Did a search but only things to blame were the dimmer switch not being plugged in.

How many bulbs are actually behind the climate control fascia? I would say 4 at a guess. 2 for the middle screen and 1 either side for the buttons? If all of these are illuminated with just the engine running why would they suddenly distinguish when the lights were turned on?

Also looks like someone in the past has done an LED conversion as the beams are rather directional and 'spotty'.

Any help appreciated.
TIA
Rikki

MarkSanne
20-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Haven't heard that before. But if no-one in the UK would have a spare CC unit for you, let me know, I have at least 2 or 3 of these laying around collecting dust (postage to UK from NL isn't bad by the way, for a small lightweight item like this it's around a tenner).

Erni902
20-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Neither have I Mark its very strange indeed!

I do have the unit in the purple VR-4 I can swap it out with to test but its 150 miles away right now lol. Hopefully get a chance to swap it at the weekend sometime.

Badger_01
20-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Mine goes half dark sometimes so I just give the screen a tap and it brightens up again lol

elnevio
21-11-2014, 10:48 AM
If someone has done an LED conversion, it is possible that the LEDs can't deal with the reduced voltage when the night-time dip is on, so they just turn off.

Confused
21-11-2014, 03:34 PM
I typed just the same up last night - then my iPad logged me out of the forum when I went to submit, and I couldn't be bothered to log in and type it up again!

Erni902
21-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Haha lmao Confused

Well the strangest thing has happened today!! Just setting off to drive home and the speedo dies. Just the needle all other dials, needles, lights etc etc work its just the speedo needle is stuck at 20mph (which I am 100% I wasnt doing on the M5, M42 or M40) Stayed there the whole drive home.

Then when I park up outside the house the climate control all of a sudden springs into life and lights up like a xmas tree!! Very odd indeed.

John TheAntique
21-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Rikki these two events are not connected, it is just pure synchronicity.

Erni902
21-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Yeah and now a third has just happened!!! One of my ccfl angel eye rings has given up the ghost! Bottom lights up only slightly and is a purpley colour and starts to flicker!!

gadboy007
21-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Rikki these two events are not connected, it is just pure synchronicity.

Released 1st June 1983!One of their best works!!

Erni902
21-11-2014, 11:11 PM
It was the 7th and 1988!!

gadboy007
21-11-2014, 11:17 PM
It was the 7th and 1988!!

HEHE! Thats when I released!! ( well, September 1987!! )

John TheAntique
22-11-2014, 02:22 AM
Released 1st June 1983!One of their best works!!

One of my favourite albums

Erni902
02-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Ok so I feel like a bit of a t!t now!!

The speedo issue that I eluded to earlier in the thread has been sorted. When I swapped over the custom dials that Tomasz sorted for us a while ago I pushed the needle back on too hard so it sticks on the dials. Lever the needle away slightly and she is free moving!! /pan

Havent swapped the climate control yet but hopefully do that tomorrow.

menno3x8g
02-12-2014, 10:37 PM
If someone has done an LED conversion, it is possible that the LEDs can't deal with the reduced voltage when the night-time dip is on, so they just turn off.

i've done a LED conversion: no problems, even dimming is possible.

elnevio
03-12-2014, 03:49 AM
i've done a LED conversion: no problems, even dimming is possible.

Not all LEDs are equal! :smart:

Erni902
04-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Somebody had indeed done an LED conversion on my climate control unit but they had used the standard holders instead of using resistors and soldering them in place. Kinda suits me as it means its easy to change back to the regular bulbs. Out of the 2 units I have managed to come up with 4 standard working bulbs and it currently illuminates as it should.

Next is to attempt a screen colour change ;)