PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Wiring Fail.

Davezj
25-11-2014, 05:53 PM
just thought i would share my experience with you lot.

these are some issues i was having,

1. intermittent bad radio reception ever after fitting a new aerial

2. intermittent key in ignition not starting the car, so i fitted a starter button to get round this issue.

3. lately and complete power loss for half a second but this only happened a couple of times over a period of about a month.

let me show you what failed,

it is the connector that sits on the left hand side of the steering wheel, just outside the lower plastic cowel behind the lower knee plastic panel that goes under the steering colomn.

i had to make the connections again so i did with normal spade terminals just to get me back up and running.
the spade connectors are rated ok, so i could leave them in there but i might change it later.

it must have been failing for a while, the age of the plastic possibly cracking, the terminal coming loose not making connection correctly, expanding a bit when warm, then expanding and contracting with the heat cycling and it got worse and worse, until it would not start.

So i put my hand under the dash a wiggled some wires without seeing them and the car starts fine. i do a bit of investigation and find the connector above.

But it is all fixed now and working, but here is the reason why i put the 3 points at the start of this post.

1. radio reception is perfect and very clear now.

2. the key has started the engine every time i have tried to start the car since fixing the wiring.

3. obviously fixed the complete power loss issue

Erni902
25-11-2014, 05:55 PM
/popcorn

Atik
25-11-2014, 06:01 PM
His trousers must still be wet? /lol

adaxo
25-11-2014, 06:05 PM
:whistle:

Z-Kev
25-11-2014, 06:48 PM
I had the same issue with that ignition plug getting hot, some previous owner had wired a lot of things to its 12v feed and it wasnt happy, had to totally reloom a lot of the under steering column wiring loom

Davezj
25-11-2014, 06:57 PM
oh very good i have edited the post to remove the cOKnectors typo.

swinks
25-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Yes, quite common problem with Mitsi vehicles getting older.
Good point Dave at ignition barrel switch plug, but actual ignition switch itself is the weakest link.
Here is picture:
Twice I had to replace them, once due corrosion (in 2008) and second time due to contacts being half burnt (in 2012).
Apparently this problem is haunting most of Mitsubishi vehicles, well known in MLR. If we ask why is that... well, in most occasions lots of splicing into harness... i.e. turbo timers, alarms, immos, etc., moisture from humid weather...

Davezj
25-11-2014, 07:43 PM
good point, it not surpising that the ignition system fails it is used quite a lot of the 17 odd year life, on and off, on and off.

WillVR4
25-11-2014, 07:48 PM
I've just changed mine today as well today due to the slot being rounded and causing non-start issue. Seems to be common problem on lot of cars as its a generic part also use don Dodge and Chrysler in north America as well as a lot of Mitsis (Standard/T-Series US278T Ignition Switch, costs about £17)

Posted here about it...

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?72804-What-I-did-to-my-car-today/page2

GalantOnly
26-11-2014, 03:01 AM
Dave, what's the purpose of the male side of the plug from your pics? It's definately not the factory plug, so is it some turbo timer adapter loom?

Davezj
26-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Dave, what's the purpose of the male side of the plug from your pics? It's definately not the factory plug, so is it some turbo timer adapter loom?

i have no idea why the plug is there, i thought it was a factory fit. with out it plugged in the car does not start.
the car has never had a turbo timer in my ownership or the previous ower as far as i know. but it is not unheard of to have one fitted at some point then removed by a previous owner.
the plug was attached to the bundle of ignition cables that run down the side of the steering colomn in the white trunking.

GalantOnly
26-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Try to plug the female connector (left one on the first pic) directly into ignition barrel and see if it starts. The right one is aftermarket loom...

Atik
26-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Try to plug the female connector (left one on the first pic) directly into ignition barrel and see if it starts. The right one is aftermarket loom...

I love the fact you have this knowledge just from looking at the plug! Awesome! /yes

Davezj
26-11-2014, 06:11 PM
I love the fact you have this knowledge just from looking at the plug! Awesome! /yes

he is good isn't he, very good.

Davezj
27-11-2014, 07:45 PM
just thought i would do a little update tot this thread.

i did not mention the i had a rear view camera fitted, and the picture when it was dark was not very good. but now it is very clear and usable in the dark now. i can only assume that the extra load of the lighting system on the wiring.

i also have to report that not even once has the ignition failed to start since the faulty connecter was cut out and bypassed with normal individual spade connector.
this is the one i find odd, i would not have thought that it would have made any difference to the ignition key switch ability to start the car. i fitted a push button start switch to get round the ignition key issue, as at least 50% of the time when i turned the key i would get nothing no start, not even an attempt to start just a click sometimes.
But now it starts every time first time.
very odd, maybe with the bad connector in the ignition system it had just enough of a bad contact to stop the car starting.

chris_dono
05-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Dave, did you ever get the part number for that switch in the end ?
I think i have the same problem, mine is melted on one corner, need to replace it

Davezj
09-08-2016, 11:52 PM
If i remember rightly i just used individual heavy duty faston connectors (crimped male and female blade connectors good for about 40A).

sorry you mean the push button starter switch.
i will have a look through my ebay history to see if i can find the part.

unfortunately my history only goes back to 2014 and bought the switch before this time, i have had a search for something similar but i cant find a simple equivalent.

chris_dono
11-08-2016, 09:30 PM
I think I'll send up doing the same, can't seem to find a part number for the plug. I ended up changing the starter motor tonight and we're back in business, so it was definitely that rather than the ignition switch, but I'd like to tidy up the wiring now that I've seen it

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

markysparky
11-08-2016, 10:25 PM
Hey guys do you think this would fit?
Rs and farnell sell them..... 6 way 250 connector.

Davezj
11-08-2016, 10:34 PM
by far the best way to make the connection and the cheapest is not to use a connector at all and solder the joint and heat shrink it.
but if you want to disconnect it in the future it is a bit of pain, but how many times would you ever want to disconnect that plug.

this is why i ended up cutting off both sides of the connect and using the high current blade/faston connectors.