PDA

View Full Version : Tempting fate

Jimbo
21-02-2005, 05:43 PM
We've got a 5-week resurfacing project just started this morning at the bottom of our road (which I can't avoid), and driving to work this morning I thought to myself, "Oh great, this is NOT good. I hope I don't get a puncture!".

Ha, yeah........and guess what? Yep, I've got a puncture :rolleyes4

Tell tale sign: AYC with 2 lights on, on a straight level road, at 30mph.

(And don't tell me the tell tale sign is a "dud-dud-dud-dud-dud-dud-dud" noise, have you not heard my exhaust!) /lol

At least I get some shiny new rubber to trash at the Nordschleife - yeehaw!

Jimbo
21-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Would anybody recommend puncture repair?

I'm not convinced, especially with them being Z-rated and me wanting to use them at the Ring, but I've never needed to have this before, so I don't really know.

Can such a repair hamper the handling at all?

/edit: Just checked the tyre again....it's dropped from a re-pumped up 33 psi to 6 psi in two hours just stood in the carpark....eek! That's bu$$ered isn't it?!

SGHOM
21-02-2005, 06:36 PM
eek! That's bu$$ered isn't it?!
you've hit the nail on the head there Jim !! :oops: or is it the nail on the tyre !! :rolleyes4

looks like new rubber all round. another £500 . :thumbsdow

psbarham
21-02-2005, 06:38 PM
if i was you i would get it repaired for now(as long as the hole is in the tread and not the side wall ) and go steady and save the new ones for the ring especaillay as they are going to be resurfacing for another 5 weeks

HJM
21-02-2005, 06:47 PM
I think you should rent a lock up garage and put your VR4 in it until 22nd March /yes

Jimbo
21-02-2005, 07:28 PM
I think you should rent a lock up garage and put your VR4 in it until 22nd March /yes

/lol

nah, I'd only lose the keys!

Just driven home after pumping the tyre up to 34 psi and checked in on arrival after a 7m journey to find I'd lost 13 of them :rolleyes4 I'm kidding myself about this tyre repair malarchy, aren't I?

Still got a couple of rather worn Yokos though, I could sling one on the back to tide me over till the end of March like psbarham says, I'm gonna get new tyres wrecked on these damn roadworks.

And then I fear it's two new ones, at least - I've only done about 3000 miles (and two moist track days /yes ) on the current ones though :sad3:

Jimbo
21-02-2005, 07:32 PM
looks like new rubber all round. another £500 . :thumbsdow

Oh god, it's frightening, isn't it! Yeah, let's by a car with 18" wheels, that'll be cool. Better still, find one with a brake kit that costs £1200 for replacement discs and pads, yes, good plan!

Oh, and I still love it :smitten:

Kenneth
21-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Would anybody recommend puncture repair?

I'm not convinced, especially with them being Z-rated and me wanting to use them at the Ring, but I've never needed to have this before, so I don't really know.

Can such a repair hamper the handling at all?

/edit: Just checked the tyre again....it's dropped from a re-pumped up 33 psi to 6 psi in two hours just stood in the carpark....eek! That's bu$$ered isn't it?!

A puncture repair should be fine. I have one in my car which hasnt caused any problems.
Have a mate who used to sell tyres, he didnt have anything bad to say about them. Apparently even the external repairs are good for 200km/h plus...

Roadrunner
21-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Superglue ... /yes

bernmc
21-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Thing is, whenever I've taken a punctured high performance tyre to a tyre place, there's been much sucking of teeth, humming and ha-ing, and generally a refusal to do anything other than sell me a new tyre. I've always suspected it's a bit of a scam... bet they repair the tyre anyway and sell it on cheap! Grrr.

Wouldn't use a puncture repaire on the track though.

wirdy
21-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Go for the repair Jim, but get it done somewhere you can watch & you'll see how it's done and how good the repair plugs / process is nowadays. The plug is actually forced harder into the hole once the tyre is pressurised. A plug is a damn sight better than these 'green-gloop' products that seal a puncture before it lets any air out - and these gloop products are used on high performance tyres.

If it's good enough for bike tyres - loads more heat / stress than car tyres- then it's good enough for a perf car.
Don't believe the bull$h1t - tyre dealers will always rather sell you a new tyre of course.

Zeke
21-02-2005, 11:12 PM
i just got ran off the road by a dumb truck driver that had an obscene payload. it obviously obstructed his view and he didn't see me as he changed lanes.
anyway to avoid body damage i drove off the road and of course there was a steep drop and nastiness on the bottom so both outer tires were blown and my new alignment is shot to hell !
got an egg in one tire and a hole in the other with the cables hanging out, lol. so total cost = $400 USD including delivery /balancing /alignment for 2 new tires to replace 2 new tires and a new alignment... it's almost kinda funny :sad3:

Jimbo
22-02-2005, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, think it's worth a shot with the repair, I'd be interested to see what they do/say.

Taking a spare Yoko AVS with me too, just in case.

Zeke, man that's awful, and I thought I was having bad luck :thumbsdow Hope you get it repaired without any long term handling probs.

Zeke
22-02-2005, 02:39 AM
thanks, me too.

Jimbo
22-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Been to ATS this lunchtime to see about the repair....no can do, unfortunately.

There was a screw, probably about 1" long forced through the tyre, right in the middle of the tread, but it looks like my "pump-it-up, drive it 10 miles, pump-it-up again" policy over the past 24 hours has caused rather a lot of damage to the inside of the tyre.....there must have been enough shredded tyre inside to full a pint glass. :rolleyes4

Luckily I took a spare old Yokohama with me and they swapped that onto it for me......very nice chap too, he said "no cost, mate", so maybe my luck has changed :happy:

Oh, but just for a laugh I asked how much they do Goodyear Eagle GS-D3's for (mytyres are by far the cheapest I've found - £118.10) to which he tapped on his keyboard then replied, "£187 sir" without even flinching. Ha! Ok, I'll have 4 please, I was heard to (not) say.