PDA

View Full Version : Head ligt covers

Shehan
30-11-2014, 08:05 AM
So can anyone who has take apart the headlights tell me how you got off the front cover without breaking the damn thing? I've been trying to get it off. Incase this isnt clear, here's a picture!

Any help would be appreciated!

Ghost_2008
30-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Put it in the oven, this softens the glue and then you can pull it apart... Have a search you should find temp and time required.

MarkSanne
30-11-2014, 11:58 AM
If your oven isn't big enough, use a heat gun and heat up the seam between the clear and black plastic, CAREFULLY for around 10 minutes all around. Start to carefully pull the parts on the bottom side (if something chips off it's usually not noticable). Once you got a corner loose, the rest will follow quite easily.

Shehan
30-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Cool! Will try that tomorrow! Thanks heaps guys. Really appreciate it. I tried the small butane torch on the top right pf the first picture, but it wasnt enough for the job. So i will try the oven. I've tried looking for times, temps, but couldnt find any. How does 130 degrees celcius for about 10 minutes sound?

MarkSanne
30-11-2014, 01:06 PM
That would do Shehan. But... just to be sure have them laying on an old towel or piece of cloth, just to avoid direct metal-plastic contact.

And use a loud timer :) otherwise it's easy forgotten and you end up with a horrible mess in your oven and the stench of molten plastic in your house :)

Nick Mann
30-11-2014, 06:28 PM
100 should be plenty. And as said, don't forget! Have a few old chisels and a sharp stanley knife to hand too. The chisels are kinder than screwdrivers for prising and the knife can cut through the stringy sealant once the two parts are seperating.

Shehan
30-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Thanks guys, i will try that today and update!

Shehan
01-12-2014, 05:19 AM
Oven wasnt big enough, but i used a butane torch and got it off!!