PDA

View Full Version : Atf, what type & ensuring correct procedure

carfanatic
18-12-2014, 11:58 PM
Hello all. I have just fitted a new rad and although I may sound a bit thick, is there any set procedure for refilling the ATF or it it just run it and fill it. Thanks in advance. Merry Christmas everyone.

Erni902
19-12-2014, 12:58 AM
Personally Id put coolant in the radiator ;)

Seriously though I don't think there is a set procedure as such for filling the ATF. If you do a search I believe there is actually thread somewhere that details what and how to fill ATF etc.

97legnum
19-12-2014, 09:56 AM
Fill, or flush the trans? Just make sure it is SPIII ATF you use! Amsoil is Highly recommended. I did a full flush with 11 litres of Castrol fully synthetic Transmax Multi vehicle ATF. I believe the car has to be running and in park to check the fluid level. I would add a little bit and cycle through all the gears and re check, that's how I did it. There is loads of information on this forum regarding all of this and it's how I learned.

elnevio
19-12-2014, 10:24 AM
The engine needs to be running and the transmission needs to be in N. Preferably cycle through all the gears you can while stationary - P > R > N > D > 1 > 2 > 1 > D > N > R > P > R > N > D > 1 > 2 > 1 > D > N - then read the oil level on the dipstick. Clean the dipstick and read it again. And again. And again! Ideally, the ATF should be warmed up, although it does make it thinner and harder to see on the dipstick! Perfect level will be on the HOT line.

The fill point is through the dipstick tube. I would be surprised if you need much more than a couple of hundred ml of ATF to top it up. The air in the cooling loop in the rad will bleed away by itself pretty quickly.

carfanatic
22-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I'l let u no how i get on.