PDA

View Full Version : Who knows what the deal is with Revinning?

Badger_01
23-12-2014, 01:15 AM
As the title says.

The panel beater that is doing my car said that if the car gets revinned with extra bits, like brembo brakes, coliovers, that it wont need to have a lvvt?

How true is this?

Davezj
23-12-2014, 07:52 AM
revinning?
are you refering to android upgrade Vine
what do you mean?
Lvvt?

i thought derek was the cryptic one.

"speek english boy!" , HaHa.

was this a serious question or just typos like most of my posts.

Badger_01
23-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Heh revinning is getting a new vin number, so pretty much re-registering

And lvvt is a typo was supposed to be lvv... I think? Haha the full thing is lvvta which stands for Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association. Over here in Nz if you modify your vehicle in a certain way you have to get it certified http://www.lvvta.org.nz/

CANDEE
23-12-2014, 08:05 AM
You will need to get a repair cert as the car was written off due to damage, then it can go through the revinning process, and then it WILL have to be certed for the lvvta stuff.

If the car already has a vin number, you wont need to get a new one, it will be reactivated by the vin process(assuming the repair cert people approve the repair), and new plates. Its the same process if you let your reg lapse.

Badger_01
23-12-2014, 08:28 AM
You will need to get a repair cert as the car was written off due to damage, then it can go through the revinning process, and then it WILL have to be certed for the lvvta stuff.

If the car already has a vin number, you wont need to get a new one, it will be reactivated by the vin process(assuming the repair cert people approve the repair), and new plates. Its the same process if you let your reg lapse.

Excellent, this is exactly what I wanted to clear up.

Yeah the repair certifier is pretty happy with it, he just wants the rear guards fixed up (though I dont see a problem with them but I do understand his logic behind it)

The only thing Im a bit concerned about is that the car will need a wheel alignment and I dont think it will get into factory specs. I dont even think it would with factory wheels and suspension in it

CANDEE
23-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Is the wheel alignment for the cert process? If so, from what I have heard you dont need a wheel alignment sheet, as long as its not stupid or anything like that.

Subaru ETA
23-12-2014, 08:59 AM
You will need a wheel alignment for the repair cert and the low volume cert. it will need to be on a print out with the correctly calibrated machine with all the cars details showing it is within manufactures specs. It depends on how cool your certifiers are as to how strict they are on this.
You will also probably need a abs and SRS report for the repair cert.
If during the revining process the compliance centre find and other unrelated damage or rust, that will need a repair cert also.

Badger_01
23-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Hmmm now I feel a bit more confused haha

Badger_01
23-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Would they put my car through a low volume vehicle cert because of my wheels? Or will they do it cause its "modified" (Im pretty sure there is nothing that required an lvv cert)

Subaru ETA
23-12-2014, 09:32 AM
It will need to be certed for the Brembos, coil overs etc.
When the pit the cert plate on pretty much anything not standard such as wheels, carbon bonnet etc will also be out on the plate

Badger_01
23-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Cool, havent got the brembos on yet and havent got coilovers yet. So shouldnt have to go through the cert process yet?

Subaru ETA
23-12-2014, 09:41 AM
They may still ask for a cert if it has a front mount or a carbon bonnet or something like that.
If they do, you might as well get everything on the car and do it once

Badger_01
23-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Oh thatd be about right haha. Got the front mount so they will prob want to cert that then, sigh.

Hmm wonder where I could get some cheapish coilovers from

Bender
23-12-2014, 10:36 AM
kiwigalant has good rears

97legnum has good fronts

Maybe they will sell their coilovers cheap to you

Badger_01
23-12-2014, 10:53 AM

97legnum has good fronts

Ooohh thatd be nice if they could do that :)

Would give me a chance to get everything done and save up for a set of BC Golds. Always wanted a set of them, have heard a lot of positive feedback/reviews of them.

Davezj
23-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Heh revinning is getting a new vin number, so pretty much re-registering

And lvvt is a typo was supposed to be lvv... I think? Haha the full thing is lvvta which stands for Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association. Over here in Nz if you modify your vehicle in a certain way you have to get it certified http://www.lvvta.org.nz/

Thank for the explanation. It makes sense to me now I googled revinning and it came up with the android software thing 'vine'

kiwigalant
23-12-2014, 07:02 PM

97legnum has good fronts

And then get them shipped to Nelson... which may not be so cheap lol.

I didn't know a front mount required a cert anyway?

Badger_01
23-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Thank for the explanation. It makes sense to me now I googled revinning and it came up with the android software thing 'vine'

Thats alright Dave :)

Badger_01
23-12-2014, 08:01 PM
And then get them shipped to Nelson... which may not be so cheap lol.

I didn't know a front mount required a cert anyway?

If you boxed them up and got the weight and dimensions I could send you some courier tickets that we have at work. You could also knock some money off the price of them and I'll send up the rocker cover and spark plug gasket/seals :P

Yeah a cert for a front mount is a bit rude

Subaru ETA
24-12-2014, 03:55 AM
Why is it rude? You cert it because of frontal impact laws. They will especially want it certed if the bumper reinforcing is altered

Subaru ETA
24-12-2014, 03:55 AM
Why is it rude? You cert it because of frontal impact laws. They will especially want it certed if the bumper reinforcing is altered

Badger_01
24-12-2014, 04:33 AM
Nothings been altered though. I dont really care that it has to be certed, just seems a bit silly. I hope they dont try to cert my recaros and momo steering wheel since they are factory fitted haha.

97legnum
24-12-2014, 04:33 AM
Craig and I might be able to help you out Reece. I've asked for a fixed price offer on a set of coil overs I bid on, thought I'd be checky and bid to $80 but it turns out the reserve was only $100. They are local to me so if they get offered you can grab them if you want. I don't mind packing them. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=823480964 The rears have keeper springs included too so that's a bonus.

Badger_01
24-12-2014, 04:36 AM
Craig and I might be able to help you out Reece. I've asked for a fixed price offer on a set of coil overs I bid on, thought I'd be checky and bid to $80 but it turns out the reserve was only $100. They are local to me so if they get offered you can grab them if you want. I don't mind packing them. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=823480964 The rears have keeper springs included too so that's a bonus.

Oh mint! Cheers Justin that would be a big help man!

wintertidenz
24-12-2014, 10:03 AM
I had to go through the VTNZ bull**** when my car was green stickered - they put a note on the paperwork about the front mount but once they were shown that nothing was modified to fit it (original mounting points, crash bar intact) they passed it.

Depends how much of an asshat the guy is when you go to get it back on the road.

wintertidenz
24-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Page 3 of this mentions the threshold for front mounts:

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

97legnum
24-12-2014, 01:06 PM
I'll let you know as soon as I get a hold of the seller. Just my two cents worth. They are going to want a wheel alignment sheet to show the chassis is not bent, I'm not sure how you'd get around that one. Also take a quick look underneath to make sure the rails aren't crushed or even slightly bent, same goes for the sill flange. They will hit you on ANY damage in these areas.

Badger_01
24-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Chassis has been straightened. And it turns out the car is straighter now than before the accident. The panel beater, Shane, showed me a few things and it looks like the car has had a bit of a prang before.

The repair certifier guy has seen the car and he's pretty happy with it, just wants the rear guards fix up, which is good since I wanted Shane to fix them up anyway haha

kiwigalant
24-12-2014, 10:03 PM

Geez thanks Justin get him onto a really cheap set of adjusties I could get and leave me with a set sitting in my garage lol.

97legnum
25-12-2014, 04:17 AM
Geez thanks Justin get him onto a really cheap set of adjusties I could get and leave me with a set sitting in my garage lol.

Hahaha sorry about that Craig :p

Well that worked out well Reece, the people lived literally around the corner and they are a pretty nice set too. They might be interested in buying my karting setup so win win :smug:

Bender
25-12-2014, 04:27 AM
Man if I knew about them, Would bought myself haha....

97legnum
25-12-2014, 04:31 AM
Man if I knew about them, Would bought myself haha.... Ohh, hahaha I didn't think anyone would be interested lol. Not the first cheap set I've found though.

Badger_01
25-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Awww mean haha. Cheers Justin! Big help man!

kiwigalant
25-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Hahaha sorry about that Craig :p

Well that worked out well Reece, the people lived literally around the corner and they are a pretty nice set too. They might be interested in buying my karting setup so win win :smug:

Nah all good I would have to get a cert anyway and wouldn't be for a while, need to save so I can move to Hamilton first anyway.

Seems like a bargain for what they are, I paid $100 for my stock suspension and had to go to Auckland and pull them out lol.