PDA

View Full Version : Installing front speakers issue

low_vr4
29-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Hi guys,

I asked this question on facebook so just seeing if anyone else had had the same issue.
So, i replaced the legnums rear speakers with 6.5's and had no issues, all working fine. So i went to replace the front as well and came across a problem. I cut the existing block off that connects to the factory speakers and went to test the new speaker.....nothing. There are 4 wires, two thin and two thick. I connected the thick wires to the + and - on the speakers...nothing at all! I then went and tried the factory speaker (which was working 2 mins before) dead too! Really weird.
All other speakers are still going fine at this stage. Took kick panel off, fine here.

Have i potentially blown a fuse or the speaker?

Bobby~d
29-12-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm no expert here but it sounds like you grounded the wires together when you cut them. Which probably caused the output ic on the deck to blow.

low_vr4
29-12-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm no expert here but it sounds like you grounded the wires together when you cut them. Which probably caused the output ic on the deck to blow.

So it needs to be rewired?

Bobby~d
29-12-2014, 09:52 PM
I would suggest that you get a tech to check the deck but I'm sure someone else will chime in with their input

Gly
29-12-2014, 10:02 PM
do the rear speakers still work??
if so you've ruined the internal amp on the stereo.

low_vr4
29-12-2014, 10:16 PM
do the rear speakers still work??
if so you've ruined the internal amp on the stereo.

Yup rear speakers still work fine, and so does the other factory speaker in the other door

Bobby~d
29-12-2014, 10:24 PM
If the factory speakers on the next door still work I would have to say that it looks like you're wiring in the new speaker the wrong way. Try the original one that you took out on the door which is working and see if it plays.

Gly
29-12-2014, 10:24 PM
yep, buy a new stereo

low_vr4
29-12-2014, 10:37 PM
If the factory speakers on the next door still work I would have to say that it looks like you're wiring in the new speaker the wrong way. Try the original one that you took out on the door which is working and see if it plays.

The untouched factory speaker in the other front door still goes fine. I have tried the factory speaker I just took out and that does nothing as well.

So the internal amp is dead even though 3 other speakers still work fine?

Bobby~d
29-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Try connecting all four wires on the door to the old speaker both positive wires to positive on speaker and both negative wires to negative on the speaker and see if it works. This is on the door without a speaker presently right

Bobby~d
29-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Now remember that I'm no expert eah

Gly
30-12-2014, 08:29 AM
yep each speaker has its own amp/channel
you've blown one and unless its mega expensive, cheaper to replace

low_vr4
30-12-2014, 09:27 AM
yep each speaker has its own amp/channel
you've blown one and unless its mega expensive, cheaper to replace

I can't bypass them in any way? Maybe an eternal amp or something?

MarkSanne
30-12-2014, 09:50 AM
First thing to confirm is to simply hook up that speaker wiring to another speaker output from your amp. Just a matter of getting the speaker cables out of the ISO harness and switch them over to the speaker wiring you want to check. If if them works you are sure it is indeed an issue with your internal amp.

As said, if it's an expensive headunit, you might want to have it fixed otherwise, replace it or buy an external amp and hook up wiring to that. Mind you... this is not hard to do, but you need quite a bit of additional wiring, fuse and potentionaly speaker wiring if you want to do it in the most ideal way. Even if you've done it before it will be several hours of work and a 2nd hand decent amp + wiring + fuse will set you back 100-150 EUR at the very least.

Tony_T
03-01-2015, 06:14 AM
I think we could be jumping to wrong conclusions here. If he hasn't got it fixed and working yet we need to know if the wiring was cut when the stereo was powered on or not. If it was on, then yes it is likely that the output IC has been damaged but if it was turned off at the time it is very UN likely to have been damaged. One thing no-one has yet suggested for him to check, and it is not uncommon, is to look for broken wiring where the speaker leads pass through the flexible tube between the body and the door. I think one of my Legnums has a broken wire in the RH door feed (after all that's the one that gets opened and closed the most) and it happens often on other makes of car too: any wire bent back and forth often enough will break eventually. It may be that there was only one or two strands of the wire still intact and moving or pulling on the wire to access it for the speaker removal has broken those last strands. Note that this will not be visible as the plastic sheath will still be intact, just the conductor strands inside will be broken. He may need to get to the back of the head unit and check the continuity of the wires from the connector there to the ends he has at the door and if needed run some new flexible wiring through. I'd be doing this before looking at head unit faults/damage.

mitsuchick
03-01-2015, 07:41 AM
I replaced my speakers and head unit last year and this whole time everything is work great. Now I switched to another head unit which is almost identical to the one that I had in there didn't need to change any wiring and now my front speakers don't work.

mitsuchick
03-01-2015, 07:43 AM
I replaced my speakers and head unit last year and this whole time everything is working great. Now I switched to another head unit which is almost identical to the one that I had in there. I didn't need to change any wiring and now my front speakers don't work.

Edit

Tony_T
07-01-2015, 01:28 AM
1. New unit faulty?
2. Front/rear fader controls set to all rear?
3. Wiring is actually slightly different on the new unit?
Just thoughts.
Try the old unit back in to confirm speakers and wiring still work if you still have it.

low_vr4
07-01-2015, 03:07 AM
1. New unit faulty? Heat unit was working f
2. Front/rear fader controls set to all rear?
3. Wiring is actually slightly different on the new unit?
Just thoughts.
Try the old unit back in to confirm speakers and wiring still work if you still have it.

Taking to car audio place to get them to check this weekend.

Tony_T
07-01-2015, 03:53 AM
^^ Sorry my reply you quoted was directed at Mitsuchick: didn't mean to confuse the issue or hijack your thread!

mitsuchick
08-01-2015, 07:52 AM
Hmmmm the only thing could be the unit I guess. Ugh.