PDA

View Full Version : Custom Rear Lights

Erni902
30-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Want to mess around with the rear lights from a PFL Legnum but unsure of the best way to split them. They do not have clips like the headlights do, the lenses seem to have a lip that sits inside a groove on the black rear cover.

Cant get a knife in to cut the glue so virtually impossible with a heat gun. Few minutes in the oven maybe still do it?

Colin Wiltshire
30-12-2014, 06:26 PM
I managed to split mine using the oven, was a pita though. Also Galant

Erni902
30-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Got any pics of them once split? I know a few people have done the Galant lights but none say/show whether they are flat contact with a few clips or whether they have a lip etc.

Erni902
30-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Looking at doing something like this. Lines will hopefully look straighter once Ive split the lenses and got some kind of solid blanking plate installed inside. I have just mocked this up with black aluminum tape on the outside of the lens to get an idea of the look at night:

dazjb
30-12-2014, 07:38 PM
I've removed the lenses from my FTO lights several times. Use a heat gun to warm up the sealant then they separate easily

Erni902
30-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Tried with a heat gun earlier Darren but it just melted the plastic before the sealant/glue etc. The plastic was a right mess afterwards and the glue was still solid lol

Imson
31-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Thats is one idea så fix rear tailents :D i have just do they black ^^
Your idea looks good!
// regards joakim

MarkSanne
31-12-2014, 10:06 AM
I have done many headlight and (saloon) tail light modifications without issue.
However, when I still had my Legnum, I tried to do the same with those (PFL) tail lights with no success! It seems like they are not molded with a flexible glue, but with a hard 'superglue'-type of glue which I had no luck getting separated without damaging the spare lights. As I ruined 2 parts already, I tried with all 4 pieces and again, no joy. If I would even want/needed to do this again, I would use a Dremel tool and cut the black rear piece off, to have it but back together with black silicon-car kit/glue. I think it is the only way.

Oh, and I tried heat, more heat, acetone (usually a good means to dissolve superglue) and some silicon/degreasing dissolvents. As said, none worked on either of these 4 pieces...

Erni902
31-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Imson

Yeah I have a set of tinted lights and just want to add something a little unique to the illumination etc.

MarkSanne

Cheers for the info, so it looks like a dremel is the way forward. I think I will skip the oven then in that case and try this method and see what happens.

I know it can be done because I randomly have a picture of a set split but have no idea where it come from and if there was a write up lol

Z-Kev
31-12-2014, 05:12 PM
thin cutting blade on a dremel and rebond back with plastic weld

Erni902
31-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Yeah I reckon thats the way to go Kev. Going to look for a decent plastic weld kit as I can see me using it a fair bit

VR4-Dipsy
07-01-2015, 12:29 AM
I've had a attempt on the rear lights and its a pain in the back side! There isnt really a way approaching them as they have to be hacked down with a dremel tool... I even tried that i got it open but totally destroyed the housing and all ! Also trying to plastic weld the back on again will be hard aswell as the holes will need to line up when putting back the light... ive destroyed atleast 4 lights and ive given up for time being! :(

Honestly Goodluck with what you do! and i'll keep subbed on this thread for any updates :2thumbsup